• Register Today It's free!

Heater Core Question

drew999999

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT AWD 5.0
Okay... Long time lurker, recently started posting....

Got the notorious leaking heater core in a 97 AWD XLT. Been looking at all of the articles on pulling the steering column, dash, evaporator, etc. Doesn't look like much fun. Dumb question though. There is an article on replacing the blend door through the glove box opening and in the photos, you can clearly see the heater core. Would it be possible to replace the core through this method, or are there screws on the back side of the core which need to come out? I have no problems cutting away at the box and taking care of the whole mess from the front, but am dreading having to dismantle half of the truck to do all of this if there is an easier way to accomplish it. Any info would be great.

I've done a few heater boxes in the past and I was able to replace the box without removing the evaporator. There are some nuts behind the evaporator case so the case needs to be moved away from the firewall perhaps an inch and crawl underneath to get at the nuts. There is an updated case that will prevent the blend door from giving touble and I'd suggest replacing the whole case or at least a suitable replacement door while you're doing the job. The dash really comes out of these not too bad if you're familiar with Ford's way of doing things. I leave the steering column attached to the dash I believe. Just remember you're dealing with airbags so be careful!

Back