• Register Today It's free!

Heater system

Peter Westling

Reaction score
City, State
Rosersberg, Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
One thing that has bothered me for long is my heater system. I am constantly changing the temp on the selector. Either it is too hot or too cold. Seems to be nearly impossible to find a place on the selector that is perfect.. My normal setting on a daily drive would be Panel/Floor. The problem is that floor is much colder than panel. Do I then add some more heat it will give the floor normal heat but the panel is like a flame thrower... Hope u get the idea here...
This is a non-AC.
I took a look at the airflow schema... Is this a probably theory of what is happening or is it something else, has anybody else this problem? I did a search but did not find any similar threads..

Assume I want PNL/FLR setting on the selecter and a mid temped air, just between the red and the blue..
1. Outside air gets in, 1st door is in pos A
2. Since I want mid temp this door is in mid, half of the air to the core, rest proceeds further.
3. Looking at schema I would say that most of the hot air goes to the panel and following the stream the cold air proceeds to the floor. (4)

Can one solution be that putting the selector in the rightmost selection and mechanically route (2nd door) all air through the heater core and control the core's heat electrically?

[Edit: I see that the heater core probably cannot be electrically controlled since it uses the heater hoses..;) ]

Attachments

• airflow.jpg
    airflow.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 404

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about just closeing the panel vents a ways to slow the air flow through them. Seems it would then force the air to the floor..
I dunnano just a thought....

Bill Kemp said:
How about just closeing the panel vents a ways to slow the air flow through them. Seems it would then force the air to the floor..
I dunnano just a thought....

no your right, thats exactly what it will do.

I am not sure I follow you ideas here... Could someone be more explainable here..?

move the slider to close the ducts some to force more air out onto the floor. I personally almost never turn the fan up past half way( anything higher than that is "a flame thrower" like you said). I just turn the slider all the way up and let it warm up then turn the fan down.

On the freeway I can turn my blower motor off, due to the goofy Explorer HVAC system.

I agree that sometimes when it's cold out it's hard to find a "just right" position to move the cool/warm slider. Being a Limited my truck should have had auto climate control, if you ask me, but hey it was '93 and merely an Explorer :p

Try putting it on floor/defrost to change where the air is hitting you. As long as you don't go all the way to defrost, the A/C compressor won't turn on

I will play around some more with the controls. Maybe open the heater assembly up and see if I can create som turbulence somewhere around the tempblender to get a better mix and a more equal balance between PANEL and FLOOR.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Tell us if you find anything. The heat is the only thing that bothers me about this thing in the winter.

Back