Help! Adding JBL sub to stock system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Adding JBL sub to stock system

GrooveProdigy

Reaction score
City, State
Durham, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL
Hey y'all-

My '97 came with the standard audio system. I wanted to upgrade the bass, but I'm not too serious about it and wanted to do it cheap.

I found a used Premium JBL assembly (amp, sub amp, woofer) and, foolish as it sounds, I want to install it with my system.

If anyone has done this, or has experience with this JBL enclosure, PLEASE holler at me. I can tell you what I've got so far (it's a long story to post here) and hopefully someone can offer some suggestions.

If you'd like to tell me this is a waste of time, please hold back, because I already know that. This is more for fun, a project for the sake of doing it.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for starters.... take off the right rear quarter panel and see what is included w/ the stock sound system. I had the JBL system, so I dont know what is on the non-jbl. It might be as simple as taking out the old amp/housing etc and plugging in the new one. Infact it probably is that simple.... but who knows.

One thing you'll probably need is the subwoofer grille. The stock sound systems have a little pouch or something there. You wont be able to fit the sub behind it w/ the pouch there.

Heh...it's not that simple. You need to replace the whole wiring harness including the HU. You also need to reroute the antanna wire from the front to the back where the amp is because the tuner is in the amp itself also. It's a big, messy job.

My advice, get an aftermarket one. Or you can get the Q-Logic or MTX stealth sub box and a sub.

Thanks for the reply-

The JBL unit has two amps, one for the HU and one for the sub. Rather than finding a new wiring harness to make the conversion, which would have been the smart thing to do, I'm replacing the main amp with the one from my stock system, and now I'm trying to tie in the sub amp. :banghead:

Running power from the battery is no problem, and I know which speaker wires to tap into from the sub amp. My biggest problem right now is that I don't know which wires are what on the sub amp.

There are 10ga red and yellow wires, then three more that look like speaker wires. One black, one transparent, and one that's unshielded. The connection from the sub amp to the woofer is already made. What I need to do is power up the sub amp and tap it into my speaker wires.

Again, I know this is foolish, and I've had my eye on the MTX enclosure for a long time, but at the moment I don't have $450 to shell out, and if I can make this cheap junk work, at least until I have some more cash, I'd be satisfied.

Thanks!

Here's what I found on the '96 shop manual cd-rom:

The sub plug has a 6 pin plug:

Pin 1: not used
2: BR/O-Subwoofer High Audio (+)
3: Not used
4: BK-Chassis Ground
5: R/BK-Subwoofer High Audio (-)
6: DG/P-Subwoofer High Audio Mute

Hope this helps.

That's a big help, thanks a lot!

I'll see if I can match anything up.

While this info is great to know, the plug on my sub does have six pins, but only three of them are used.

Any thoughts on what's going on here?

I'm sure you have 4 wires going into that plug. Like what I've stated above, there're 2 pins that are not in use. What color wires are there?

build your own stealthbox!!!

Other than the red and yellow wires I'm assuming are for power, and the two speakerwires going from the top of the amp to the woofer, there are three wires going into the bottom of the amp through a plug.

One is black, one is transparent, and the other is unshielded. These were the wires that connected to the JBL Premium amp that I'm replacing with my own.

'96explorereddiebauer, what you've said I should have makes sense, and I would know what to do with those wires, but for some reason that's not what I've got.

I have wiring schematics for all the different stock sound systems in these. If you would like a copy of it send me your email address and I will send them.

me too please

superchef said:
I have wiring schematics for all the different stock sound systems in these. If you would like a copy of it send me your email address and I will send them.

Hello Superchef, Idon't have the Mach but my X did come with the 6 disc cd and I would like to keep the current system and add the sub I found on Ebay. If you have the time I would l could use the diagram for a 97 sport. my e-mail is badwolf007@aol.com :banghead:

adding sub to 97 XLT

I would like to know how to wire up the factory sub to my truck as well, I have been working on this for weeks and still nothing. If you can tell me how to wire it up I would really appreciate it.
John

As with anything audio, I always find it best just to replace all the wires and run them all yourself and you'll come out in the end with a better setup than any spicing or factory setup connected to aftermarket speakers would dream of looking.

I agree, but I have already upgraded the 97 stereo to the ones they put in them in 98, had to change the harness, now I have the CD/CASS/RDS stereo, and I have the two plugs hooked up, works fine, but I also have the plug that fits the 3rd outlet on the radio, I think it is for the amp. I have been to the junk yard and got the sub with an amp mounted to it , I have tried to wire it up, paid to have it wired up, and all I got so far is this, they wired it up off the amp already in my truck and it will come on, but REALLY LOUD, seems it does not take out the mids and highs, so I went back to the junk yard and got the third plug, hooked it to the back of the stereo and wired it directly to the sub and amp combo I got from junk yard and it just does nothing, so my question is , how do I wire up the sub, it has an amp with it but I think it is just for the sub, I think I still need the amp that is already in my truck as well, so can you tell me how to wire this and make the sub work? $100.00 reward if you can tell me how to make this thing work. I really appreciate it.
John

superchef said:
me three. could you possibly send one for the mach system. I have a 98 mounty, and i Am tapping a bass tube inot it as the speaker is blown in the stock. I HAVe borrowed a tube from Walmart until I complete my stealth box :confused:

A Little Time Consuming But It Could Be Done

:thumbsup:
johnewalls said:
I agree, but I have already upgraded the 97 stereo to the ones they put in them in 98, had to change the harness, now I have the CD/CASS/RDS stereo, and I have the two plugs hooked up, works fine, but I also have the plug that fits the 3rd outlet on the radio, I think it is for the amp. I have been to the junk yard and got the sub with an amp mounted to it , I have tried to wire it up, paid to have it wired up, and all I got so far is this, they wired it up off the amp already in my truck and it will come on, but REALLY LOUD, seems it does not take out the mids and highs, so I went back to the junk yard and got the third plug, hooked it to the back of the stereo and wired it directly to the sub and amp combo I got from junk yard and it just does nothing, so my question is , how do I wire up the sub, it has an amp with it but I think it is just for the sub, I think I still need the amp that is already in my truck as well, so can you tell me how to wire this and make the sub work? $100.00 reward if you can tell me how to make this thing work. I really appreciate it.
John

LET ME KNOW IF YOU STILL NEED IT TOTAL INSTRUCTIONS AND I WILL HELP YOU I HAVE DONE A LOT OF UPGRADES TO 97 EX XLT.

Back