Help! Bad Transission slips/failing tramission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Bad Transission slips/failing tramission

64mechnate

Reaction score
City, State
Austin texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford sport trac
My '01 is 2 wheel drive and has 160,000 miles on it. I commute back and fourth to school which is about 4 hours. Last time on my way up i went to pass a slow mover and when i tried to jump into passing gear it slipped out and the rpms shot up. Then i let of and tried it again and it worked. It did this a few more times on the way up, but would drive fine while not trying to get into passing gear. it drove fine in town for a week or so until one night while driving around 30 mph it completely slipped out of gear no clanking or anything just high rpm's and no acceleration. I tried letting off ad getting back on it but nothing. pulled over and checked fluid and gave a visual check but when i tried it again nothing. Its like clutches arent engaging. Reverse and drive do not work both just slip and shoot rpms up. Only drive "2" works and will actually propel truck. I was wondering what you guys think is the problem because im most likely doing it myself. A fried clutch set or what? thanks :rangerred::exporange

at 160K miles have you ever changed the fluid? also when you check the fluid was it full and NOT smelling like burnt toast? if it smells like toast then the fluid is bad. just remember the saying if it smells like toast then the fluid is toast.

what ever it ends up being i must say good luck. a rebuild from a trans certed place will be around 1000-1500. and junkyard trans with lower miles around 150-300, brand new from ford or an auto store around 2000 and up

Back