• Register Today It's free!

HELP - Blown Heads

ludwiggler

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
Our 2005 Explorer has 160,000 miles or so on it. It appears that the harmonic balancer separated and moved back causing the fan belt to come off and my wife overheated the explorer on her way home from work one morning. We fixed the harmonic balancer but we were losing coolant at that point. I could see where the head gasket was losing a little bit of coolant. Long story short, I took the vehicle in for a head gasket repair and was told it was the thermostat housing not the head gasket. The mechanic didn't bother testing we found out later. They sent my wife on her merry way after replacing the thermostat housing, oh, and the alternator. She really overheated the engine that day. We brought it back in and it WAS the heads and this time BOTH HEADS needed replacement. I was a little steamed at the sequence of events. Anyway, it was an arm and a leg and the first born child to either swap in a new engine or a used engine and I had lost confidence in the shop. They recommended against and quoted some astronomical price to just change the heads. Now I have a torn apart engine and a box of parts and new yard art. What should I do? I don't know where to get a new engine or used engine or if I should have someone swap an engine in for me. I don't know the value of the car and if it's worth the investment. I did love the car and it fits our needs. It is aesthetically pleasing and paid off....BUT...my esposa has lost faith in the vehicle.

If it was mine and it fit my needs and was otherwise in good condition (no tranny issues), I'd put in a different engine. But with a different mechanic. Still cheaper than a car payment every month for 6 years.

Jasper engines are about $3700. installed with a 300,000 mile warrenty.

Back