Help Powering Accessories By Hard Wiring? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Powering Accessories By Hard Wiring?

kamil2251

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Hi! I have a 2005 Ford Explorer, and im a volunteer Fire Fighter out of Connecticut. Currently I have a lot of accessories running off of my Cigarette lighter port in the front. Basically I have a 3 port splitter plugged in with a Police Scanner (Uniden BCT15X), and FM Transmitter, and also a second 3 port splitter powered off that splitter that powers my emergency lights (3 Whelen LED Slim Miser's). In the near future, I plan on getting a Dash Cam, and also power up and take advantage of my police radar that ive had laying around for awhile. Im worried that all this power running off one port could cause a fire or something esle bad. I'm also getting tired of looking at all the wires and want to hard wire the Dash Cam, Police Radar, and Scanner, and let the lights and FM transmitter run off the cigarette ports. However i have little to no knowledge on how to do this. I've been reading online about using the "add a fuse" but im not too sure which to tap into to use, if not, tap into multiple to meet with the power demand. Does anyone have any advice or better ideas on how to power all this?

Back