Help! Transmission shifing late and engine light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Transmission shifing late and engine light

Blake A

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, Alabama / Searcy, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
I am about to pull my hair out! My transmission has been shifting like butter and now all of a sudden its shifting late (but not hard). It will ride all the way up to 3000rpms, hang there for a while, then drop down. My transmission was rebuilt about 2 years ago.

My engine light is on and autozone said the code was for an IAC valve or a vacuum leak.

Can these two things be related? Somebody please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just found the bill and warranty information. 24 month 24,000 mile warranty and it rolled out of the shop on 3-3-10. I'm within the miles but the shop that did it is closed today. Lets hope they honor it on monday.

Two years to the day.. i dont know yet if this is good or bad luck..

My money bets they "can't reproduce" it. Or they say it was more than two years because it's past the 3rd. Or they say it was more than 2 years because of the extra day in the leap year. Who knows?

Hope I'm wrong. Good luck!

Yeah, I REALLY hope not! Its a local family owned shop. We faxed them what happened and our warranty information today so hopefully it will all work out.

Those are the best shops. They usually come through.

Well the transmission shop couldn't find anything. So i took it to my mechanic who found and fixed all of my vacuum leaks and replaced the fuel filter.
Its not shifting as late as it was but it seems sluggish and on my way back to college from my week at home i noticed it dropping down to about 2000 rpm (between 45 to 65) and when it does i almost have to floor it to get it to go faster. RPMs wont even go up when i throttle down. The only thing i did different before all of this started was put some Lucas fuel system "deep clean" in and filled the tank. But its been through over 2 tanks of gas and a new fuel filter since then. Wondering if Sea Foaming the engine would help?

Can anyone help?..

Pull the codes again and see what's there now. Need the code numbers not just a vague description to help.

Back