• Register Today It's free!

Help

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
1997 ford explorer xlt. 5R55E Trans
Here goes had some shift trouble as in flare and start out in 3rd after a stop and or slip and no speedo. and a code for vss. flashing od light. What I have done so far:
Changed the sensor on rear diff and top of trans and transfer case. Changed valve body gaskets and All solenoids twice, new gasket new filter. Adjusted bands (were not that far out) now still have what I think is a flare when your driving it revs for a second and catches again. I still get a vss code sometimes. The speedo jumps around and sometimes dont work at all. The od light does not flash now. Added lucas trans fix today no change. Am I missing something.
If I shift it manually it works fine. Help!!! At the end of my rope. Also have a good set of solenoids for this truck as I replaced the first set and then bought a second set with the harness. Also got a code for throtle position sensor and overspeed???

You missed the most obvious thing, which is to get it to a tranny shop and get the codes pulled from the tranny.

AND do yourself a favor, instead of "I got some code this and that", you might get a better chance of help if you actually tell us what they were/are.

Back