• Register Today It's free!

Horn repair stalled -'95 Explorer

avid.explorer

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
My 1995 Explorer's horn quit working quite some tme ago.
Did some research on this board and had a go at self repair. But I am stalled.

My horn doesn't work; yes, my cruise control works fine; my A/C and heater are variable.

I checked all the fuses in the interior fuse panel with a fuse tester - they apparently are OK; the #2Relay/Horn under the hood in the PowerDistributionBox makes clicking sounds when the steering column horn pad is depressed.

I accessed the horns via pulling back the plastic left-wheelwell mudguard, detached the one blue connector wire, and using fine sand paper - abradded the connector pin; then replaced the blue wire ... @#$%^&*

still nothing.

I'm not a skilled mechanic and I don't have an oham meter, so I didn't test the blue wire for power.

Also, and this is what caused me to abort my attempts - the 2 high&low horns were attached to an arm which couldn't be unbolted from below - a mechanic would have try to release the horn(s) assembly from a very tight area in front of the battery. Since I wasn't even sure power existed to the horns, I became very reluctant to tear out whatever from above, just based upon hopes.

An oham meter and perhaps new OEM horns minimally would cost upwards of $70 ($20 for cheap meter and $27/for each horn (high & low frequency)). The money's not a issue, but dog-gone-it, success is.

Suggestions? Encouragement? Direction? ALL VERY WELCOME AT THIS TIME.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

avid.explorer said:
My 1995 Explorer's horn quit working quite some tme ago.
Did some research on this board and had a go at self repair. But I am stalled.

My horn doesn't work; yes, my cruise control works fine; my A/C and heater are variable.

I checked all the fuses in the interior fuse panel with a fuse tester - they apparently are OK; the #2Relay/Horn under the hood in the PowerDistributionBox makes clicking sounds when the steering column horn pad is depressed.

I accessed the horns via pulling back the plastic left-wheelwell mudguard, detached the one blue connector wire, and using fine sand paper - abradded the connector pin; then replaced the blue wire ... @#$%^&*

still nothing.

I'm not a skilled mechanic and I don't have an oham meter, so I didn't test the blue wire for power.

Also, and this is what caused me to abort my attempts - the 2 high&low horns were attached to an arm which couldn't be unbolted from below - a mechanic would have try to release the horn(s) assembly from a very tight area in front of the battery. Since I wasn't even sure power existed to the horns, I became very reluctant to tear out whatever from above, just based upon hopes.

An oham meter and perhaps new OEM horns minimally would cost upwards of $70 ($20 for cheap meter and $27/for each horn (high & low frequency)). The money's not a issue, but dog-gone-it, success is.

Suggestions? Encouragement? Direction? ALL VERY WELCOME AT THIS TIME.
Did you replace the relay? The contacts inside could be worn out.

Dan

95 Explorer horn repair

hunterdan said:
Did you replace the relay? The contacts inside could be worn out. Dan

Yes. Nearly the first thing that I did was to replace the horn relay (I didn't think that was the issue, even from the start - other things worked: AC/panic alarm/cruise control.) Also, though the horn currently does not sound, I can hear the clicking from the PowerDistributionBox inside the engine comparment when the steeringwheel horn-pad is pushed/drepressed.

Not sure if you did this check or not.

You might wanna try a ground substitute as it seems that you say the arm mounting the horns is difficult to remove and not sure for the x, but other vehicles get their ground from the horn casing through the mount, to the chassis by virtue of the mechanical connection. Try substituting the ground as it can be corroded especially where you say it is mounted.

You might want to scrape some paint of one of the horns and attach a wire or screwdriver or pliers (you get the drift) from the case of the horn to a good chassis point (might have to scrape some rust/paint from there too). I say rust because up here in Eastern Canada, two things are certain, rust and taxes.

Remember that two things are required for electrical operation power and ground.

Good luck.

Yvon

blue00 said:
two things are certain, rust and taxes.

Remember that two things are required for electrical operation power and ground. Good luck. Yvon

Thanks, Yvon. I did not try to re-ground. Will try it soon ... and let ya'all know.

When I get this horn fixed, I'm going to do a pictorial how-to. Hell, just finding the darn thing was a task in it self.

You can buy a test light for $5 or so. Clip one end to ground and touch the pointed end to the hot wire. A small light in the handel will light, or not, so you know you have power. Good aftermarket horns are $25 . For less than $50 you can do this....
My guess is the ground on the horns is bad or they are just worn out.

The horn on the 95 is located under the battery. You can get to it from underneath the front where the fenderwell in front of the tire comes in and bolts up. I believe there are (2) either 7 or 8mm bolts holding it in. It is a 2-piece unit - basically two horns. One wire to the first, and a jumper from it to the second. Self grounding. http://bit.ly/2obFLAv

Back