Horn Trouble!! Circuit Breaker???

NYMount21

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer Premier
Hey all -

So awhile back, I installed a WOLO "Bad Boy" electric Air Horn on my mounty. Awesome plug-and-play product for like $45. Really loud, easy install thru the stock system, and people never expect it lol.

Anyway, awhile back it stopped working one day. My mechanic replaced the relay and presto - worked great again. However, a week later nothing when i push the horn once again.

I was wondering 2 things --> where is the relay so I might fix it myself this time and what can i do to prevent this again??? I was thinking a curcuit breaker??? Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The current rating of the relay is probably too low to handle the load. Use a heavy duty relay rated for at least 30 or 40 amps. The alarm shops use these relays in just about every installation. Listen for the click of the contact to track down the location of it.

As indicated, "listen for the relay".... but you might want to put your ear near the power distribution box to a better "angle" on the sound.... :) Of course, since its not working now, the sound might be hard to hear... :) Your owners manual will tell you which relay in the box is for the horn.

so i'm probably just going to head over to a Ford dealership tomorrow and get another relay, any idea how much $$$?

for a guy who has no owners manual, or a dealership willing to look up a 92 explorer, where is the horn relay? i know it isnt in the relay pack under the fuse block by the battery

Back