Hot Weather Battery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hot Weather Battery

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I recently moved to Nevada where locals say the summer heat cuts average battery life in half. Two local auto repair shops and online research confirm this, as do the laws of physics and chemistry.

I checked here for battery recommendations. Some folks liked the Optima Red Top but none of the threads named the model. Optima's website doesn't list one as a direct exchange for the OEM battery but tells you to go with dimensions, Group, and desired CCA. So, has anyone identified the model number, etc. for an Optima for the Ford Explorer (mine's a 2013 XLT)?

Also, any tricks to prolonging the life of a battery in a hot environment other than good preventive care?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It appears that none of the Optima coloured top batteries come in your group size of 65, 650CC. I guess that is why they ask for the dimensions. I'm sure local garages would be familiar with which battery would be the best given your location.

Peter

It appears that none of the Optima coloured top batteries come in your group size of 65, 650CC. I guess that is why they ask for the dimensions. I'm sure local garages would be familiar with which battery would be the best given your location.

Peter

Hoping that someone here has:

1. Mounted an Optima battery in their Exp and can share model / size / etc. info
2. Suggestions for maintaining a battery under hot desert conditions (summer only)

Hoping that someone here has:

1. Mounted an Optima battery in their Exp and can share model / size / etc. info
2. Suggestions for maintaining a battery under hot desert conditions (summer only)
I've lived in Arizona almost twenty years, I don't think there's much you can do for your battery except keep it as cool as possible. If you have a carport or garage it's probably not worth doing more, will also depend if your car sits in the sun all day at work. I doubt any other countermeasures would have much of an effect as to be worth the trouble? Just buy a good battery brand is my advice.

Optima Red Top does seem to be one of the higher rated batteries for hot weather according to reviews.

Peter
Fair enough, can't say I've ever tried to find one of these, but good batteries here last 4+ years and while Optimas might beat that I can't imagine it's by much. If you end up paying 2x for one of these over another battery I don't think you'll end up saving money. I see these rated highly but no data on how long they last compared to the competition. High quality Interstate battery at my local Costco is only $100.

So, has anyone identified the model number, etc. for an Optima for the Ford Explorer (mine's a 2013 XLT)?

The dimensions of a Group 65 are 12 1/16 x 7 1/2 x 7 9/16 and so anything smaller than this, still with the required CCA andA/h you want will work for you.

If it was for me, I wouldn't go for Red Top and they max out at the 50-60 A/h range and I wouldn't want to drop below 90 A/h - purely subjective based on me not wanting issues of not being able to start if I leave a few things on or plugged into the outlet.

So, then you look at Yellow Top. There 3 different 75A/h ones that are all too big.

So, then you look at Blue Top. There is 1 75A/h, also too big.

So at first glance, there is no "easy" replacement. Depending on how dirty you want to get your hands, you could figure out what is really the max space available under the hood and also be prepared to modify cables to fit. But...that's a pain in the a$$ job overall for just a battery. However, if you're happy with ~60A/h then I think this becomes easier for you.

Over to you :)

S

Just get a good battery from a good store with a warranty, then when it craps out take it in for replacement. Either full cost or prorated..

Back