How do I REALLY clear codes on 91 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I REALLY clear codes on 91 Explorer?

sd_iconoclast

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I have a '91 Explorer EB and I am experiencing stalling when going downhill.
The only code a see is a Memory Code 66 (MAF out of range low).
I want to clear this code so that I can see if it reappears when the car stalls.
I have a very expensive Auto-Xray scanner. It has an option to clear codes. I run that option and it tells me that it was successful in clearing codes.
But, when I read the codes again, the code 66 is still there.
My Chilton manual tells me specifically not to clear codes by disconnecting the battery as all computer learning will be lost.
So how should I clear codes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure the code it's reading isn't the code that is stored in the scanner memory?

You might try just cleaning the MAF sensor, very common fix for a lot of issues, especially if it's never been cleaned. There might still be other issues contributing to the stalling, but it's a start.

Are you sure the code it's reading isn't the code that is stored in the scanner memory?

You might try just cleaning the MAF sensor, very common fix for a lot of issues, especially if it's never been cleaned. There might still be other issues contributing to the stalling, but it's a start.

The scanner does not work that way.
It has no persistant memory.
So I guess the question is: How do you guys erase codes?

Disconnect the battery and hit the brake pedal a few times (or alternately, you can wait a pre-determined amount of time- but I don't know what that is) until the brake light no longer illuminates.

Reconnect battery.

Code is gone.

If you want to clear codes without disconnecting the battery, and not by the scanner. Follow the paper clip sticky on reading trouble codes. It has pictures. When you are doing the code reading, remove the paper clip. That will erase any codes.
By the way that code usually means you have a vacuum leak. I had the same problem, kept getting that code, and found out my gasket to my brake booster check valve was cracked.

Back