How do u bridge an amp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do u bridge an amp?

Mr. Limited

Reaction score
I need to know how to convert a 4 channel amp to a one channel amp and still use all of the amps available power, is this called bridging, I want to hook up a 8 inch sub. Also, how would i use the existing input wires from the factory JBL sub amp to work with my new amp, can I just cut off the factory harness and solder a pair of RCA's to the ends, My new amp only has RCA inputs.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's some help Mr. Limited

Originally posted by Mr. Limited
I need to know how to convert a 4 channel amp to a one channel amp and still use all of the amps available power, is this called bridging, I want to hook up a 8 inch sub. Also, how would i use the existing input wires from the factory JBL sub amp to work with my new amp, can I just cut off the factory harness and solder a pair of RCA's to the ends, My new amp only has RCA inputs.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Okay here we go. The easiest way to "bridge your amp" would be to bridge two of the channels instead of all four. The way you would bridge two channels would be to use the + from one of the left rear and - from the right rear channel. I don't think you can bridge all four into one. As far as the wiring harness you could "PROBALLY" cut and splice. I don't know exactly what the harness looks like. If it is just and input harness I'm going to say yes if it has the remote, main power and ground; you might want to go ask a radio store like SoundWaves. I hope I helped. Brian

Brian is right you cannot bridge a 4 channel amp to one channel. Since your amp only has rca inputs you'll probably need a line level converter because I think the factory system uses a speaker level signal, but I'm not sure. I don't know if you were just talking about the signal wires or all of them (inc. power, ground, and turn on) but you shouldn't use the factory amp power and ground wires for your new amp. The remote turn on would probably be ok though. Hope this helps.

1 quick note, not all amps are bridgeable.

Correct, not all amps are bridgeable, but if your amp isn't I'd buy a new one 'cause it probably isn't the best amp you could buy.

Back