• Register Today It's free!

How long will she last?

eggsplorer

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I have a 1994 explorer xlt with 122,000 miles. I bought the car used with 40,000 miles on it. I have no problems with her, and never had to replace anything over 50 dollars. So, the question I ask is, how long will she last? Possibly till 150,000?

Auto trans
Oil change, rotation, etc. when required

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are members here that have over 200,000 on their Ex's. You may have some tranny problems soon but regular fluid changes definitely help out.

When I was x shopping in September I saw one with 450,000 on it and he was stilll asking $3500 for a '94. After I got off the floor from laughing I said "dang I hope whatever I buy gets 450k.

What had been done to it? new tranny engine???

Explorers last forever. Besides the somewhat weak tranny, which is not as bad as it comes out to be, the truck should go 150K miles easy. If you have the SOHC with the 5R55E, you shouldn't hany any tranny problems. :D

I bet you'll get at least 200k out of it. But look at it this way, whenver it does die, it just means you can start rebuilding it into an off road monster :D

I already have 150+K on mine and can still kick ass.:D

177,900ish and still running....just got some lifter noise, hopefully and oil change and that lifter fix stuff will quiet that down though.

My old 94 XLT gave out around 180k (ish) But it ran strong with almost no problems till then. (Those problems were induced my a wreck)

My old 91 xlt has 176000 miles on it and it still runs great. Still the original transmission, water pump and alternator. The only problem I have is rust. I would trust this old truck for many more miles. Treat it right and it will treat you right.

We got our '92 at about 140k...
We now have 274k miles on it...

Orig motor.. (replaced the heads a 236k miles)
3rd tranny (replaced 1st at 185k, 2nd at 236.. we overheated the motor real bad and "cooked" the tranny")
Most of the suspension was changed at about 165k miles.. We put in a lift kit.. (Duff kit which has since been mofified)..

All in all.. it is doing very well.. but I "seem" to have good luck with vehicles.. Our '1995 neon just cleared 200k miles last week.. and is still competly stock.. so far I have only replaced struts and a fuel pump.

~Mark

My truck has 129k with original tranny and has had no problems at all. All she requires is regular maitenance. I'm hoping the tranny doesn't take a crap in the next 20k.

Depends on how you're doing it and how fast you're going. :D

Re: Re: How long will she last?

Originally posted by yob_yeknom
Depends on how you're doing it and how fast you're going. :D

:D :D :D right on!!
-anyways i just flipped on 150,000 on my 95, hoping it will make it to 160-170 k then its sold.

My Explorer just hit 125,000 miles and its starting to fall apart on us. Tranny rebuild (on the SOHC egine) at 74k, A/C compressor replaced, a slew of other problems. Now the front brakes are going to have to be replaced again, at least one caliper will have to be rebuilt again, the power steering pump, the steering rack, or both need to be looked at, the tranny is starting to slip again, some very minor electrical glitches etc. The truck has had excellent care taken of it, and it looks perfect inside and out, still drives great too for the most part, good and tight with few rattles.

I just feel its starting to reach the end of its natural life. I would continue to repair it but its cost us $4000 since March. Its going in next week to have the brakes, steering issue, front end looked at, andif there are major costly issues it may have to go.

Don't worry though folks, even Explorerless I'll stick around here just the same ;) Don't know what we'd get, my son drives the Explorer and he makes plenty of money himself so it'd be his choice. I think he wants a Lexus or something.

Yea i have a 93' xlt with 132,000 and it is running pretty good, but it is still stock except for a few minor things. I just replace the tranney and the ac like a few months ago, everything else is doing good. Although there is a coolant leak which i havent been able to find yet.

Originally posted by Stephen
My Explorer just hit 125,000 miles and its starting to fall apart on us. Tranny rebuild (on the SOHC egine) at 74k, A/C compressor replaced, a slew of other problems. Now the front brakes are going to have to be replaced again, at least one caliper will have to be rebuilt again, the power steering pump, the steering rack, or both need to be looked at, the tranny is starting to slip again, some very minor electrical glitches etc. The truck has had excellent care taken of it, and it looks perfect inside and out, still drives great too for the most part, good and tight with few rattles.

I just feel its starting to reach the end of its natural life. I would continue to repair it but its cost us $4000 since March. Its going in next week to have the brakes, steering issue, front end looked at, andif there are major costly issues it may have to go.

Don't worry though folks, even Explorerless I'll stick around here just the same ;) Don't know what we'd get, my son drives the Explorer and he makes plenty of money himself so it'd be his choice. I think he wants a Lexus or something.
If it was in the money for a new SUV, i'd buy a new Aviator :D

Stephen your Xplorer isn't falling apart, it's just feeling neglected. It's like part of the family you gotta spend time with it, talk to it....hehe i'm just foolin around. I don't know what to say honestly mine runs great but if i were in your shoes i'd probably be pissed too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back