How to convert a 4x4 to a 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to convert a 4x4 to a 2wd

Project GT

Reaction score
Well like it says I want to know how to convert a 1995 4x4 explorer to a 2wd explorer. I am doing this because I am about to purchase a 95 explorer 4x4 for $400 bucks that hit a deer, so the front headlight,grille & fender need replaced. But I want to use the explorer as a donor rig for my 1948 Ford F1.

So if someone has a 2wd explorer that wants 4x4 this is your chance because I won't nearly anything for the setup.

Any help would be great or any local guys that want the 4x4 setup if your willing to come remove the 4x4 parts and give me your 2wd parts your welcome to it.

I'm located in Washington State

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where do you live?

Oh sorry, I'm in Washington State

Oooph, I was born there :D but Georgia is a bit of a drive.

damn. I'm really hoping someone will want the 4x4 stuff because I really don't want to have to try and find all the 2wd stuff I'd rather just trade someone.

And I'd love to trade for 4 wheel drive. You could always go buy the 2wd stuff and sell the 4wd stuff.

well I don't even know where I could buy all the 2wd stuff or what I even need. I tried to follow the one thread but he doesn't list where he bought it all. If I had to do that I'd prefer just to order it all online. But I guess I could just sell the stuff.

But now I'm kinda stuck on the exhaust note the 4.0 puts out. I've listened to all the clips and just not really liking any of them. None of them sound deep enough and since headers aren't a big options on these motors I may not even buy the explorer now.

why wouldnt you just get a F150 running gear and swap the F1 body to it ? End up with something decent not something nobody wants.

Go to the junk yard? Got 3 within a hour drive of me :D Which 4.0? I ran my 4.0 ohv without a muffler for awhile. Sounded awesome untill I hit 4,500 rpms or so, then it got a lil whinny for my tastes. 3,000+ rpms started getting high pitched but nothing bad. The SOHC though apparently doesn't sound as deep from what I've heard. Why not the 5.0 though?

well don't get me wrong I want a v8 in the truck. But I was also trying to find a truck/suv that I could steal everything from including front suspension.

I've looked at crown vics and older f150s but nothing that was cheap like this explorer. I'll probably just have to wait until I find a 70-85ish f150 and just get it I guess.

The 48 needs for the most part everything including brakes, steering, and everything else so I just wanted a donor. And thought of a v6 for slightly better MPG then a v8. But since I won't drive it everyday I guess I should care about MPG

and I really didn't want to buy say a 1977 f100 or a 78 f150 that is running and destroy it just for parts. Id prefer to take a truck that had a good run but I wouldn't feel bad for destroying myself. If you know what I mean

Back