• Register Today It's free!

How to replace front bumper

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
My son had a mishap involving a light pole, so its time to replace the front bumper. (2001 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6)

I don't think anything else was broken. Where can I learn the steps to replace the bumper ? Is this a do-it-yourself kind of repair ? Or more involved/requires special tools ?

Thanks.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely a DIY -

Being an 01 - it probably has fog lights so first is to disconnect the fog light wires (connectors located behind the bumper and directly under each headlight). Next is to unbolt the bumper from the "ears" on end of the chassis rails. So break out a socket wrench with the proper socket and that should be it.

The only problems you might run into is - if he hit a light post, theres a chance he bent the "ears" on the chassis rails. If so, then it might be difficult to bolt on a new bumper because the bolt holes might not line up properly.

I took a look this afternoon, the "ear" on the left chassis rail is fine, but the 'ear' on the right chassis rail has a bent 'tab' (the other 'tab' on that ear is OK).

How are the ears attached to the chasiss ? Welded, bolted, other ? Can an ear be replaced ? DIY ?

Also, just above the bumber there is a 1" plastic (same color as the vehicle) trim piece that runs just below the 'grill'. This piece has a crack. Its not too bad, but I'd consider replacing it, too, if it easy to pop in/out.

I'm hoping I can find these pieces at a salvage yard or on ebay at a reasonable price.

There is thin piece of metal (a bracket for now) with some screws leading from the bumper guard to the fender. There is gummy undercoating like stuff on all the small nut and bolts (all odd sizes). It fells like when you remove the bumper trim, that you're fumbling so much that you need acupuncture after every half hour.

If this is the craziness of what you are speaking, then replace the new, with hardware with stainless nuts and bolts as I wish the factory should have done.

After that, the bumper is easy. Four bolts.

if the ear isnt bent too far I would just used a BFH and bang it into shape, it's just a mount and it has three others.

taking the rest of the parts off it just logic, take the obvious bolts and screws loose. whats nice is if it's broke you and just break it off and learn how it works then use that knowledge on the replacement

Back