How to retime a jumped timing chain ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to retime a jumped timing chain ?

drdu

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 xlt
97 explorer 4.0 L has no markings on the chain or sprockits. The timing is off because the tensioner gave out and allowed the chain to jump one or two teeth off. I know that the #1 cylinder head has to top dead center (TDC) before I can adjust the cam shaft. There is a kit for this type of work, but hell, why does Ford make things so difficult with NO marks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There should be like a little dot or something on some of the sprockets and then on the chain possibly a GOLD link that needs to be lined up with the crank (I believe). I haven't done one in awhile and when I did I had instructions - but it was a V-10. But anyhow, hopefully that information will help

-Drew

Found the cause

My Timing was definetly off. Apparently the camshaft slipped and turned by 60 degrees. Causing the cylinders to miss on the drivers side. 4,5,& 6 were misfiring and causing lean fuel to burn which ruined my catalytic converters. SOHC has three timing chains. The front chain was good, which I thought had slipped, but the one right behind it needed to be adjusted by 3 tooth sprockets. While I had the valve cover off, I noticed the camshaft was off. The bolt to it was not tighten and there was NO pin to keep it in place. Had to drill my own hole and stick a little pin in to keep in place along with welding glue. I have no idea how Ford makes this crap along with no timing marks?! The Haines Ford Rangers book will show you where the TDC mark is by going 6 marks over. Thats right, 6 sprokets over to the left and mark it so you know where top dead center is for your #1 cylinder head is on the passenger side valves. I was having low compression of under 100 on the drivers side which I believe is bank one. Passenger side was 160. Now I have equal compression of 160 on both sides. What a pain in the ass this has been ! Forget about going to the library reference section to find out about timing this engine when it slips cause there's nothing written on this kind of situation.

You need the tools from ford I think, they enable you to retime the cam shafts.

pics? im really curious as to what kind of nightmare this is. mine runs fine but since this seems to be a problem of the sohc us shadetree mechanics could use a little eye candy. kinda making me wonder how hard it would be to switch to a 4.0 ohv.

i wonder if its setup like the gm tdc motor, the spockets are tightened onto the cone shaped nose on the cams and hold on that way. really cool cuz you dont need head shims if you shave them down, and timing is pretty much infinatly adjustable either way.

i'm intrested in seeing if i can twist a little one way and get some more low end oomph.

Back