HUGE RAIN WATER LEAK. Need help ASAP :( | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HUGE RAIN WATER LEAK. Need help ASAP :(

My X is doin this too. Only mine doesn't drip that I noticed. My headliner is damp from the windshield to the rear hatch on the driver's side. I read a thread about the moonroof water drain passages being plugged/clogged within the roof. Haven't checked mine yet though. Anyone else have any ideas?

This is exactly what happened to mine as you can see by my post right above this one. It's probably the same drain hose plugged, too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow looking at the pictures in the beginning of this thread is literally looking at a mirror image of where the water is in the inside of my explorer right now (even the same interior color lol) I resealed my drivers side cargo window, which stopped some of the water, but my headliner and cargo area carpet are still getting soaked on that side!!! It's pouring right now so I'm going to go check my sunroof drains to see if that's the issue (I already had to fix the passenger side one, but I thought the drivers side was fine)

wow looking at the pictures in the beginning of this thread is literally looking at a mirror image of where the water is in the inside of my explorer right now (even the same interior color lol) I resealed my drivers side cargo window, which stopped some of the water, but my headliner and cargo area carpet are still getting soaked on that side!!! It's pouring right now so I'm going to go check my sunroof drains to see if that's the issue (I already had to fix the passenger side one, but I thought the drivers side was fine)

I bet it's the rear drivers side drain. That's all it was in mine, and it was leaking like a mother. So much water got in from that one hose!

I hope it doesn't plug again soon... It barely came unplugged with compressed air.

So, I checked this afternoon and everything around the sunroof is absolutely bone dry, the drains are connected and working normally. When I pulled the plastic trim off from around the window I didn't see any water dripping from the window itself, and there's no water in the area where the bottle jack is stored like there was when the window was definitely leaking. I also sealed all the bolt/rivet/whatever holes for the roof rack a couple months ago, so now I really have no idea where the water is coming in from!!!

Definitely getting to my wits end with this leak lol I've been slowly eliminating leaks for months on this truck, when I first got it almost the entire headliner was getting soaked in rain storms, at least now it's only getting wet in that back corner!

So, I checked this afternoon and everything around the sunroof is absolutely bone dry, the drains are connected and working normally. When I pulled the plastic trim off from around the window I didn't see any water dripping from the window itself, and there's no water in the area where the bottle jack is stored like there was when the window was definitely leaking. I also sealed all the bolt/rivet/whatever holes for the roof rack a couple months ago, so now I really have no idea where the water is coming in from!!!

Definitely getting to my wits end with this leak lol I've been slowly eliminating leaks for months on this truck, when I first got it almost the entire headliner was getting soaked in rain storms, at least now it's only getting wet in that back corner!

Yeah, seems like Ford really messed up on the design when it kept to keeping water out of these cars, so many possible things leak!

You never know man, you literally have to do what I did: Remove the headliner from the car (it's easier than I thought it would be) and put a garden hose on top of the car and turn it on FULL BLAST.

I never could tell where the leak was coming from but with the headliner off i poured the hose over the side cargo windows for 5 mins; no leaking at all. Then I put the hose on the sunroof, and 20 seconds into it water was POURING into my cab. But with the headliner in, it seemed like the leak was in the rear because the headliner acted like an umbrella and transferred the water to the lowest points of the car (gravity) aka the rear of the car.

Keep us updated! But take that headliner OUT and do the hose trick. Trial and error is the only way.

Yeah I think taking the whole headliner down and running the hose over it sounds like a great idea. I do notice that my car doesn't get nearly as much water in it when it's parked facing down hill (my driveway is a decent slant, so when I just pull right in is when I get most of my water intrusion) so I guess it could still be the sunroof even though it felt totally dry over there. (I also got a weird rash on my arm after I stuck my hand up inside between the cardboardy stuff and the roof lol wont be doing that again!!!! It did go away already though so that was definitely weird)

I'll definitely update after I pull the headliner, hopefully I'll get to do it over winter break!

So I know it's been a while but I figured I would update this thread since I finally fixed my roof leak problem. It ended up being exactly the same problem that Cranmaro99 had...I started lowering the headliner from the cargo area moving forward on the drivers side (it was pouring out when I did this so I could see where the leak was coming from, yes I got soaked :() and when I finally got to the sunroof track where the drain attaches to, sure enough there was water pouring down from it onto the headliner:

81737cca.jpg

The hose was not clogged on mine, but there was a nice kink in it right where it comes out of that hole in this picture (the kink is about in the center of the picture) sorry this picture is so blurry, I didn't realize it was when I took it or I would have retaken it:

34e2fa51.jpg

The kink was completely stopping the flow of water so it was just backing up. The hose was also so weak and fragile where the kink was, it was impossible to make it go away by just fiddling with it so I ended up putting duct tape (yay for redneck repairs) around it and that's been holding it open so far. Of course by the time I had it fixed, it had stopped raining but I checked it by pouring water over the sunroof and now the water just comes out right at the beginning of the rear wheel well on the drivers side, and does not drip off the sunroof track!! :thumbsup: I'm hoping this is the end of all my rain water leaks since this is like the 4th one I've fixed (another sunroof drain, some bad weather seals, the drivers side cargo window) and there doesn't seem to be any water coming in anywhere else :cool:

Hopefully this helps anyone that's got water in the same place that I and the op had, definitely check ALL the sunroof drain hoses!!!

Back