Humming Noise Front End- Any Ideas? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Humming Noise Front End- Any Ideas?

Well, I was just schooled. I HAD a noise coming from the front end that would get louder when making right turns and quieter when making left turns. I got an auto stethoscope and it turned out that the passenger side hub bearing was bad. Replacement removed the noise and all is well. I did receive a Facebook comment that suggested applying grease through a needle through the ABS bore to stop the noise, but this was after I had already replaced the bearing. Anybody try this enough to know if it works and is safe?

I would have expected, based on your description, that replacing the passenger side wheel hub would have fixed things. By turning left and putting load on the passenger side making the noise louder, I figured that would've been the bad hub, but it was the driver's side?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hubs, CVs

Have 97 ford explorer all wheel drive. Replaced the hub assembly. Still have the humming noise. Changed the tires but still have the noise. What else should i be looking for. Driving me nuts.

Just finished mine.
to also help in the diagnosing of this noise:
If you make a right turn - Change the Left bearing/hub
If you make a left turn - Change the Right bearing/hub
---
I had the noise as stated here. I would make a start into a right turn direction at about 40 or more the noise went away. I had changed the right side thinking the noise went away due to the body flex.

It probably wouldn't hurt to check the front end/transfer case and fill if its low. I don't know where my fluid went but there wasn't any leaks...

I would have expected, based on your description, that replacing the passenger side wheel hub would have fixed things. By turning left and putting load on the passenger side making the noise louder, I figured that would've been the bad hub, but it was the driver's side?

The answer is yes.. Weird but yes

Back