HVAC Issue, Defrost Always on with heat | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HVAC Issue, Defrost Always on with heat

millhouse

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a high mileage 2002 explorer XLT V8 AWD setup. I noticed that when I turn HVAC control set to the floor, it blows air from both the defrost and floor heat vents. When I turn it to defrost, I get the same thing. The only thing that seems to function properly is when I set the HVAC controls to vent (it will cut off the floor and defrost). Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue, same vehicle w/manual heat controls. Also a high mileage and just recently purchased. I found some good info here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304349

According to a digram I have, there is a single door controlling those two outlets and it appears that it could fail in the middle position, sending air to both heat and defrost instead of selecting just one or the other.

The above post points to a solution that involves taking out the radio to check the door actuator to see if it moves and if the problem is a broken linkage, bad actuator or disconnected vacuum line.

This is different from the blend door problem and the door behind the glove box that can allow untreated air into the cabin in copious amounts, freezing out the passenger front.

Hopefully someone who has tackled this already can chime in. Is this a whole dash removal procedure or just a little surgery?

Yeah, I just checked....and it was stuck for sure. Shortly after, a piece of plastic fell off of the actuating arm and it now appears it's stuck for good. The actuating arm is now permanently disconnected from the box. It looks like I'll have to do some type of surgery to fix this. I'm still not complaining...as it only cost me $3800 for the truck (runs fantastic).

That's about what I paid for mine and I think I got pretty lucky. Like your's it runs great and looks even better, except for the crack on the back window facia, which happened about two weeks after I bought it. But everything seems mechanically tight.

How tough was it to access the door?

That's about what I paid for mine and I think I got pretty lucky. Like your's it runs great and looks even better, except for the crack on the back window facia, which happened about two weeks after I bought it. But everything seems mechanically tight.

How tough was it to access the door?

Considering the BB value of ~ $7k, it was hard to pass up.

Yep, the crack is present in mine too.

As for access to the door, it's tight. I the radio and bezel will have to come out and maybe even the center console. Maybe I'll do a write-up on it when I decide to tackle it. For now, the heat still works...it's just diluted with the defrost. The center vents still function fully for A/C so...this is just an annoyance rather than a necessity.

That's not too bad. Better than the whole dash!

A write up and pics would be great. I'm sure we're not alone on this problem.

Thanks for the follow-up.

I have a similar issue. I always get air flow from the the floor vents regardless of what the setting is. This makes the defrost flow weak and it doesn't clear the windows very well. I will let you guys know if I discover anything.

I have a '99 Explorer Limited AWD with the auto a/c and had a problem with the blend door actuator not functioning. I bought a new one after I had disassembled the unit and found that a gear was stripped. Even though the gear was stripped the motor inside would not operate when I changed temp up or down. I bought a new actuator from Advanced Auto Parts and still no movement from the new actuator. ????? I'm lost now. Could I have a problem with the control unit that controls all the functions? Everything else works well, just can't change temp up or down. No power to the actuator when changing the temp up or down.

Help!!! I think my problem is the blend door. I have air condition but when I turn the knob to heat it continues to blow cool air and I hear a constant clicking. Everyone tells me I have to take the whole dash and everything out to get to it to repair or replace it. Please tell me there is an easier way. I just want heat in the winter and cool i the summer.

There is a sticky for the blend door. I myself haven't done one but the forum pics walk you through this kind of stuff. I today completed the solenoid pack in the tranny. This forum is amazing. I run in a classic mustang forum as well and the two are so very informative.

Help!!! I think my problem is the blend door. I have air condition but when I turn the knob to heat it continues to blow cool air and I hear a constant clicking. Everyone tells me I have to take the whole dash and everything out to get to it to repair or replace it. Please tell me there is an easier way. I just want heat in the winter and cool i the summer.

That certainly sounds like the blend door actuator to me. Here is the write-up:

How To: Replace Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex

Good luck with the fix! :D:thumbsup:

Back