• Register Today It's free!

I think my tranny is shot!!!!

makaveli911

Reaction score
City, State
edmonds, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer 94 sport
so i took my x on a "little" trail and after about 2 miles some oil or tranny fluid started to leak all around the tranny and oil pan area, but i saw no cracks on the outside of anything. It got worse and finally it would not go into any gear and i was stuck!!! Then my friend brought some tranny fluid over and it still wouldnt go into any gear then finally i decided to just floor it hella and it finally grabbed but making some wired noise. Then i coasted back down the trail and out to the road. We went to the gas station got more fluid and drove home fine. But the only thing is in reverse and nuetral, my car will go forward, just like if it was in drive. So basically i bet my x is FU*KED!!! what do i all need to get it running like it did before and how much money would it cost???? thanks Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After the boots you took to it on the trail you will probobly need a full rebuild to the tune of $1500+. Driving a broken, damaged, or out of fluids car is always a bad idea and only makes things worse and a more expensive repair.

is it wired though that my car runs fine and shifts ok when i was on the drive back??

I wonder if its your neutral safety switch. Do you have an auto or manual tranny?

i have an auto

my buddy's at the ford dealership said maybe it can be the clutches in the tranny since i was reving it up in gear with no fluid in them??? But the main guy that does trannys is gone till monday so they are not 100% sure

and they said maybe thats why the car runs fine in drive, since the clutch on that gear is not messed up?? i dunno lol

How many miles on the trans? If I was going to have the trans apart I'd due a full rebuild, unless you can get a deal.

around 70k but i know i can get some kind of deal....

i got another question too. How much do you think i can get if i parted out my explorer?? cuz if its gonna cost like 2k to fix i rather just try to sell parts off of it and get another car. Just a quick question.

pics of my car

It all depends on your truck. But can you even part out a truck? It's a lot bigger hassle than you may think. Everynight pulling of misc things. Can you pull the motor? Do you want to have a half dismantled truck truck in the driveway/garage for weeks?

ahhh yeah very true. I think i will just try to fix it up!!

Back