Identify/replace Catalytic Converter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Identify/replace Catalytic Converter?

ggaarryy

Reaction score
City, State
new york, new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 eb
I am very confused as to just where and how many catalytic converters my 2000 explorer (4L engine vin x). Mechanic said there were two and glowing white and needed replacing.

Working from the muffler to the engine, there are two boxes inline that look like cats but then after the 'Y', there's one on each side leading to the engine that look like they could be cats,too? Does that make one, two, three or four? lol

I have also gotten really lost reading the various threads here about replacing them and the various retailers give so many options and prices I can't figure it out.

So...could someone please tell me which of these things I described are my catalytic converters? Also, I really would appreciate a link to a cheap cat that anyone might recommend. Passing emissions test is not an issue at the moment, I just want it to run...but putting as little money into it as I can.

Thanks,
gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah it sounds like they are both cats. Technically you have 2 cats but you have 2 parts for each one. So when you order new ones for your explorer they will come the same way. My suggestion is to either go to a junkyard and get some cheap ones and throw them in or get some performance ones online. I am in the same situation and I'm getting 2 Magnaflow Cats for $213 each with free shipping =-D

thanks...so what are the cats I see listed for $60? I understand they need to be welded on (as opposed to the direct fit ones). Four of these plus welding costs would seem a lot cheaper.

Also, I saw some threads that said the 2 inline (closest to the muffler) can be removed without affecting performance or even emissions testing. Yet another thread talked about replacing the whole 'rube goldberg' cat setup with ONE 'hi flow' one.

I am still so confused.

1044_283_10.jpg
the 2 closest to the exhaust manifold are cats, the back ones are resonators

Are you sure?

BTW above img is not my car, mines better taken care of.:D

1044_283_10.jpg

Are you sure?

BTW above img is not my car, mines better taken care of.:D

that pic is of a 2nd gen, which do have 4 real cats, and it's the rears that can be taken out of those with no effect, other than killing the environment. the 93's have 2 cat converters, with 1 or 2 resonators behind them.

thanks...so what are the cats I see listed for $60? I understand they need to be welded on (as opposed to the direct fit ones). Four of these plus welding costs would seem a lot cheaper.

Also, I saw some threads that said the 2 inline (closest to the muffler) can be removed without affecting performance or even emissions testing. Yet another thread talked about replacing the whole 'rube goldberg' cat setup with ONE 'hi flow' one.

I am still so confused.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had a '93 =-/ Yeah the ones post-cat should be resonators. Replacing the whole cat setup with one hi flow system can work. They have some after-market systems that were made just for that reason. Check into MagnaFlow.

the cheapest solution would be to buy weld in high flow cats, and pay an exhaust shop to weld them in. The "bolt in" setups are a lot more expensive, and would be almost impossible to bolt onto an exhaust system that old, especially if it's been in new york it's whole life.

Thanks for the responses!

desertbum -- I don't have a '93, I have a 2000 -- I think techieman33 just referenced a '93 to clarify a question from coriehudson -- so according to him they are also cats and not resonators...though it boggles my mind why ford would put FOUR catalytic converters on a car!

techieman33 -- I'm a typical visual male so thanks for the pics, that's exactly what my explorer looks like underneath.

So if I understand this that there ARE 4 cats, I can get two 'weld on' cats for the two closest to the engine and then have someone just weld on a pipe to replace the back two (but before the O2 sensor I assume).

For example would something like these work (sorry it won't let me post the link from the retailer) -- EASTERN UNIVERSAL FIT CATALYTIC CONVERTER Part Number: EAST70382 MFR#: 70382 for $50 each? These don't come with O2 ports...is that another problem?

thanks again!
gary

Ok I'm sorry I got confused =-/ With the 4 Cats I'm not exactly sure if you should by-pass the last ones... It's there for a reason right? I mean as long as you don't live in Cali I don't think it will matter much. I know Cali has STRICT laws about the Cats lol.

yes there are 4 convertors on the Explorer...

This refers to the 2nd Gen 4.0 Liter OHV Explorer

Ford has used 4 catalytic convertors on certain vehicles for years...The 94 Mustang v8 had 4 convertors on it and they were replaced by lots of owners in pursuit of performance...And yes you will need to weld in O2 bungs when you replace the stock convertors with hi-flow cats...

I have heard that you can remove the last convertor on the Explorer 2nd Gen without causing issues but I have not tried that yet...Here in Texas so far we don't have a under car visual inspection...Yet...I haven't addressed my exhaust system but I will be doing so in the near future and be setting up my Explorer Sport for duals and hi-flows as well as being able to install my V8 at some point....

But I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I thought the NY state emissions tests were just as strict as the California tests...Didn't these 2 states adopt the same testing a few years ago?

Thanks for the responses!

desertbum -- I don't have a '93, I have a 2000 -- I think techieman33 just referenced a '93 to clarify a question from coriehudson -- so according to him they are also cats and not resonators...though it boggles my mind why ford would put FOUR catalytic converters on a car!

techieman33 -- I'm a typical visual male so thanks for the pics, that's exactly what my explorer looks like underneath.

So if I understand this that there ARE 4 cats, I can get two 'weld on' cats for the two closest to the engine and then have someone just weld on a pipe to replace the back two (but before the O2 sensor I assume).

For example would something like these work (sorry it won't let me post the link from the retailer) -- EASTERN UNIVERSAL FIT CATALYTIC CONVERTER Part Number: EAST70382 MFR#: 70382 for $50 each? These don't come with O2 ports...is that another problem?

thanks again!
gary

It says you have a 93 eddie bauer under your screen name, so thats what I was going by. If you have a 2000 then you do have 4 cats, and all 4 should be replaced. And yes that cat you posted will work fine.

Sorry for the confusion...I DO have a 93 eddie bauer(hasnt run in five years but I keep telling myself I'm gonna fix it cause I still love it). My son has the 2000 and lives in a NC county that doesnt have emissions (so I'm not worried about the testing, just running -- and from everything I've read NO cats is bad for the engine).

So I can't get by with just the two front cats afterall huh? I was liking yall's answers better when it WAS a 93! Still $50 times 4 is still better than the direct fit ones assuming I can find a shop that will do the welding for a decent price.

Thanks very much for all the help everyone.

gary

Back