• Register Today It's free!

Idle then dies?

FordExplorerGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
91' XL
Okay, so today I start my X, drive it down the parking lot, back up into a stall, clean it and then go to start it to move it. Well when i turned the key, the it revs between about 600-1100rpms, then dies, it only did this twice but then it started find. It has actually been doing the idle thing from 600-1100 rpms for a while, so i hit the gas a little rev it to about 2000 or 2500 and then it usually stops. Any ideas on why this might be?

Check the air filter, clean the MAF (instructions on the message boards, do a search), check the IAC, reset the computer...

Originally posted by flgatorz10
Check the air filter, clean the MAF (instructions on the message boards, do a search)

i would do this first..... and when its wet from washing, also make sure your coil pack isnt wet, and make sure the electrical is all dry as well.... when i had no hood for like a year, in the rain it would run like crap.... the same thing always happened when iwent mudding.... eventually, i cleaned my maf (had caked mud in between the filament posts) and it has run fine since then.... the maf hates water or mud contamination... it screws up it readings

Back