• Register Today It's free!

I'm back after 4 years

87redcat

Reaction score
City, State
Maryville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 xlt 4x4 V8
Hello everybody, 5 years ago I owned a 1992 Explorer XLT and loved it. I was the second owner and had it since 1997. I was hit by a caddy in the front end and it never ran right afterward. There was a shake in the front end while driving. After replacing just about everything you could imagine it got worse. It was my engine. Later, after I sold it, I found out that some of the internals were not the best Ford could do. I learned that the rod bearings were fragile.lol
anyways... I've been driving a ... well ... lets say its not a Ford, and I miss all the room I had in my Explorer.

So, I've been looking to get another one. Looking at all the model years and prices I've narrowed it down to the second generation. I was really wanting a V8 in it this time for the extra power. So does anybody still have a 2nd gen with a V8 and if so how many miles are on it? wondering about that cause I just found out that mexico made the 302 for Ford when they were behind in production and it was mainly for the truck line. any thoughts??

Thanks guys
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dave, welcome to EF.

I've had 2 1997 Mercury Mountaineers, my last one had 250,000 miles, and I see it everyday driving around, still ran like a champ and towed my car hauler.

And my current Mountaineer has 191,000 miles and runs just as good. Do not believe any of that slack, the 5.0 was and still is one of the most reliable and cheap to work on engines Ford has ever made. Before I bought my second Mountaineer I told myself it had to be a 5.0 or I would not buy it.

Only sold the first because I was stupid and wanted to buy a truck but changed my mind.

A few years back I also had a 1994 F150 5.0 with 380,000 original miles, it still runs around as well.

The only thing I've done to any of them was regular maintenance, fluid changes, plugs, wires, etc.

Oh my I completely forgot that I posted this. Its been a long process but I finally managed to get the I wanted. 2001, v8 4x4.
Has 215k miles with only some minor repairs needed. Ive been driving an outlander for 5 years and driving the explorer feels like home again...

I have had 4 of the v8 awd second gens. I've rolled two of them. One had 480,000 miles on an original engine and trans. One had 200,000 original engine and trans. My current one has 160,000 and it's going strong. The v8/5.0 is the way to go. Gas mileage isn't great, I get about 14/15 mpg city and 18 or so on the highway, sometimes up to 20 with cruise control of its flat. The current one of a 2001 XLT and it's totally my baby. Good luck, I love them.

So stoked at the replies on the longevity of the 5.0. Made it to yank a part today and picked up some little things. Need to go back tomm to get a spare. I grabbed a 16 in and realized I have 15s when I got home.

Back