Information on the Explorer AWD system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Information on the Explorer AWD system

jwhall

Reaction score
City, State
Traverse City, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Looking to buy.
Hi!

I'm new here. I have an '07 Jeep Commander, which I really like despite its limitations (3rd row is for people with no legs. Mileage is worse than my budddies F-150...)

I live in Northern Michigan and use the Commander for two tracking, and drive on alot of pretty nasty roads in the winter, often before they are plowed. I also use it to tow my boat thats about 4K lbs. It has Quadra Drive II with a good brake traction control system as well as low range. It can send most of its torque to either axle then use the TC system to (kind of) apportion it side to side.

I'm interested in the Explorer after borrowing a buddy's ST for a trip (oh man....) but while I don't need the ST I am curious about what the AWD system is like on the explorer. I don't expect it to do the things off road my Commander can, but I do want to know what its AWD system is like. How much torque can it send to either axle? Does it use traction control to get power side to side? Is there a low range option? I've looked on the internet and while I can find a ton of stuff on Jeep (I'm cross shopping against the Highlander and JGC-L) I can't find anything on the Explorer other than 'It sends power where it needs to go'. It makes a difference. Jeeps Quadra-Drive I system won't really work for me because it's limited in how much torque it can send to each axle, and I'm curious if Fords system is like that.

Any help would be appreciated. I really like the Explorers '20 and beyond.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I found several articles on the drive system when doing a Google search but didn't see anything mentioning the amount of torque sent to the wheels. Perhaps it is because it can vary depending upon the situation it encounters.

Peter

Hi!

I'm new here. I have an '07 Jeep Commander, which I really like despite its limitations (3rd row is for people with no legs. Mileage is worse than my budddies F-150...)

I live in Northern Michigan and use the Commander for two tracking, and drive on alot of pretty nasty roads in the winter, often before they are plowed. I also use it to tow my boat thats about 4K lbs. It has Quadra Drive II with a good brake traction control system as well as low range. It can send most of its torque to either axle then use the TC system to (kind of) apportion it side to side.

I'm interested in the Explorer after borrowing a buddy's ST for a trip (oh man....) but while I don't need the ST I am curious about what the AWD system is like on the explorer. I don't expect it to do the things off road my Commander can, but I do want to know what its AWD system is like. How much torque can it send to either axle? Does it use traction control to get power side to side? Is there a low range option? I've looked on the internet and while I can find a ton of stuff on Jeep (I'm cross shopping against the Highlander and JGC-L) I can't find anything on the Explorer other than 'It sends power where it needs to go'. It makes a difference. Jeeps Quadra-Drive I system won't really work for me because it's limited in how much torque it can send to each axle, and I'm curious if Fords system is like that.

Any help would be appreciated. I really like the Explorers '20 and beyond.
I know it can do a 60/40 (front and rear) and 100/0. I don't know much other specs though.

I know it can do a 60/40 (front and rear) and 100/0. I don't know much other specs though.
I'm not sure that 100/0 is correct for a RWD vehicle.

Peter

No low range.

It is a rear wheel drive system, that can send up to 50% of the power up front. Traction control is brake and throttle modulated.

What the exact splits are on power distribution are not readily available, but you can bet it is one of the parameters adjusted with the different drive modes that also change the throttle response/sensitivity, shift points, and steering response. I have not gone into forscan to see if it is a monitorable parameter...

SOrry 100/0 100 being front and 0 being rear.
Yes, I understood that, and that is why I questioned 0 torque to the rear in a RWD vehicle. I could possibly see that in the FWD biased 5th gen, but then again I don't believe either setup is capable of 100/0 torque split to the wheels.

Peter

Yes, I understood that, and that is why I questioned 0 torque to the rear in a RWD vehicle. I could possibly see that in the FWD biased 5th gen, but then again I don't believe either setup is capable of 100/0 torque split to the wheels.

Peter
Oops I confused myself. 100 being rear 0 being front. Sorry.

Back