• Register Today It's free!

intake for 86 ranger

ExporeRanger

Reaction score
City, State
Highland, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
i got an 86 ranger 4banger with the 2.3L gas in it with the EFI. a long time ago i was being neeive and took the air in duction tube off of the stock intake box and put a cone filter on it..when i started up the truck it revved up really high..and i redid it and the same..i dont know a whole lot about the rangers intake system on this old 2.3...but i'd like to make it breath better and sound a bit better and accellerate better..so i was probably gonna fab up my own high-flow intake tubing and then put a higher flow conical filter on it..but if i do this i figure i'll get this same problem..

since then i've learned a lot..and i figure these are my 2 possible problems/solutions

1.) it had some kind of air intake computer that cannot be bypassed if i want the correct RPM and air/gas mixture/ i need to find a way to include that in my intake tubing ((like an MAF adapter for a cone and a coupler for the tubing))

2.) i simply need to unhook the battery, and then rehook it up..start up the truck and drive it a few times in city/highway and full throttle conditions to set the computer..

does anybody know exactly what im looking at for this? i was probably gonna either use a air ducting material or pvc to make my own intake tubing..like i've seen on a bunch of exploders on this forum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-9...ryZ38634QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

would something like this work?..i hav a fuel injected 86..and it looks liek the air filter cone itself on this engine would sit right where my battery is..is it an allusion of the picture..or is the battery on the right sidein the mustang?..im pretty sure this is the same engine..i have a pic of my engine if that could help anybody..please reply..thanks
-chris

On the 86 2.3L the IAC is mounted on the airbox instead of up on the engine like the 2.9L for example. This makes intakes harder to do because of this provision. You can't just throw away the box!!!! The IAC can be made to work on an intake, but it will take some custom fab work. I had some ideas for this as I've got an 86 with 2.3L that I was going to do a snorkel on.

yeah those two lil sensors of whatever? them wires..what kinda custom wiring am i gunna need to do? yo uhav any suggestions

No wiring involved. You just need to plumb up the IAC so that the engine sees the same as it does stock. I was actually going to make a flange that mounts on the IAC with lines that lead to the engine and then another that comes off with a CCV filter on the end and just mount the whole thing up on the firewall. From there just do the intake as normal.

ok so the IAC is those two wires? and that i assume is what tells the fuel injectors wut to putin for the mixture?..or how much air i guess to suck in..i dontknow..it revved real high when i took em off..so i dont know really how it works..but i need those to somehow get a fake reading? orrr wut?..am i way off? how do i "plumb" them up..and what will it do if i do that..wouldnt it not get the correct mixture?

can anyone help me out?

I have the same thing you've described on my '87 2.3L. the IAC is a cylindrical metal peice with a plug on it (i think this is what you unplugged) you need to make it bolt onto the intake tube, so it can read how much air is going thru it, similar to how it is attached to the airbox.

When I finally get around to doing mine, i'll post pics & results.

yeha please do..and thanks..i guess drill a hole in the intake..and pop it in ther with a gromet or something?..thanks..

Back