Interior lights bulb sizes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior lights bulb sizes

Hey guys...trying to swap out my interior lights to all LEDs...CarID has a ton of "plug and play" LED versions that I would love to use. I was going to follow the route of wiring up a board with individual LEDs resistors, etc, but this would be worlds easier.

But before I order, I need to know what size bulbs are in all of the interior lights:

- Front dome center light
- Front dome driver and passenger map lights
- Rear dome center light
- Rear dome driver and passenger map lights
- Cargo light
- Door lights

I found the list below on "Modifiedlife.com", but not sure how accurate it is. Can anyone confirm?

1997 Ford Explorer Car Light Bulb Size Chart
  • High & Low Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: 9007 or 9007 HID Kit
  • Parking Light Bulb Size: 3157NALL
  • Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 3157NALL
  • Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 3156LL
  • Tail Light Bulb Size: 3157LL
  • Stop Light Bulb Size: 3157LL
  • High Mount Stop Light Bulb Size: Assembly
  • Fog/Driving Light Bulb Size: 899 or H3-55W
  • License Plate Light Bulb Size: 194
  • Back Up Light Bulb Size: 3156LL
  • Front Sidemarker Light Bulb Size: 916NA
  • Ash Tray Light Bulb Size: 161
  • Glove Box Light Bulb Size: 194
  • Map Light Bulb Size: 168
  • Step/Courtesy Light Bulb Size: 168 or 906 or 912
  • Trunk/Cargo Area Light Bulb Size: 211-2
  • Under Hood Light Bulb Size: 906
  • Instrument-General Light Bulb Size: 161 or 1815 or 194
  • Check Engine Indicator Light Bulb Size: 194
  • Hi-Beam Indicator Light Bulb Size: 194
  • Seat Belt Indicator Light Bulb Size: 194
  • Brake Warning Light Bulb Size: 194
  • Automatic Transmission Indicator Light Bulb Size: 194
  • Directional Signal Indicator Light Bulb Size: 194

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also getting new reverse, signal, and tail bulbs from these guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are right, but check what bulbs you have in your overhead console. I'm having way too much trouble finding those bulbs in the LED form.
My OHC has the festoon type bulb..
Also, 194 bulbs will fit in 168, 906, 912 sockets.
I just ordered 20x 194 bulbs and put them in where I could. They look great on the license plate.

jay, making led boards isnt too bad if you can solider. i cant say for sure, but if you get the correct individual led's, you can almost make them so they are bright enough to suntan with

Those are right, but check what bulbs you have in your overhead console. I'm having way too much trouble finding those bulbs in the LED form.
My OHC has the festoon type bulb..
Also, 194 bulbs will fit in 168, 906, 912 sockets.
I just ordered 20x 194 bulbs and put them in where I could. They look great on the license plate.

How do you even get to the bulbs? Do the dome covers simply pop off? They do look great in the license plate - already made that switch and love it.

jay, making led boards isnt too bad if you can solider. i cant say for sure, but if you get the correct individual led's, you can almost make them so they are bright enough to suntan with

Tim, I can solder, I've done a fair amount of wiring, I just would prefer to save the time and headache, to be honest. If I can buy a plug and play bulb, it's worth it's weight in gold for the time and stress it'll save. I can count on one hand the number of hours of free time I have each week to take on projects. :(

Do you know which of the dome lights are which bulb? Assuming the driver/passenger map lights are the 168s, is the center light the same? Or should I just get 194s like Dom said and see if those fit?

i think the center light in the dome light is a 168, just like the map lights......i think....

The Dome light in the back, the middle bulb is a larger bulb than the 2 outer bulbs that you turn on with the switches. I don't know what number it is, but I think a 194 will fit in the socket.

I put 194s in for all 168s.

The overhead console cover pops off with a screwdriver, there's a little tab right in the middle. Just pry it open.

If you are going to use plug and play bulbs, make sure to get the size that will fit.
Some of them have 5 LEDs, some have 9, or even more.
The ones with more than 5 don't fit in many places.

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how this all shakes out.

Back