Intermittant Coolant Leak

bryris

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
4.0 V6

I've had an intermittant coolant leak that appears to be coming from one of the metallic lines at the bottom of the radiator. I am assuming that these are lines that bring coolant to the transmission. The one that is leaking is the one on the left if standing in front of the truck looking at it....or the one closer to the passenger side.

By leak, I am speaking of about a half dollar size mini puddle right under that spot. It seems to leak about one out of every 10 drives. Coolant level is still right where it is supposed to be. I can easily check it every month and add a bit if needed, but I would rather get it fixed if I can tell what it is. It is intermittant, so would be tough to recreate at the moment I would need to. :)

Also, I can hear a slight slight spew coming from the radiator cap and there appears to be lots of white residue around the cap. I would assume this is classic for a bad cap?? Or is it doing what it is supposed to do?

Lastly, Ive heard some folks switch to a 16lb cap. Is this advisable?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Metal lines are transmission cooler lines and carry Transmission fluid so chances are good you have a very small radiator leak!

Do those lines brings trans fluid up to radiator or coolant back to transmission?

They bring hot trans fluid up to radiator and cool trans fluid back to transmission.

sounds like you need a new cap, the fluid you see on the metal lines is a trans cooler lines. the fluid is most likely running down on to the cooler lines, i have a buddy with a 2007 v6 thats losing coolant, i havent had the chance to search for the leak yet, just browsing the forum to see whats out there at the moment

Back