Intermittent starting problems with 95 exp sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent starting problems with 95 exp sport

TheFoldAaron

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 sport
First of all this problem only occurs during the warm months (apr-oct)

About 2 years ago the problem began where every once in a while my 95 explorer sport would start up but die if I didnt keep my foot on the gas pedal. I would try and drive it while holding the brake and barely pressing the gas pedal.
After 15 minutes of driving the problem would go away it would work like normal.

Over time the problem became more frequent. Now a big problem is not being able to turn over the engine when starting. It will begin to crank but not turn over. Ill let it sit for about an hour, come back, and it starts up fine. Its a really annoying problem and mechanics seemed to have no confident answer.
Could someone please help??

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

First problem sounds like the classic description of a sticking or otherwise non- working IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. It doesn't allow enough air past the throttle plate, so the idle is too low and the truck stalls when you put it in gear. Search on IAC for lots of info.

Second problem sounds to me like a bad starter. If the starter motor is binding then it won't allow the engine to turn over. Check for corrosion of the battery cables, cause that is very common and might cause the same symptoms because of high resistance in the starter circuit. Another possibility is a battery that has high internal resistance because it is on its way out.

So check in this order:

Corroded battery cables.

Battery fails load test.

Starter binding when hot.

Back