Is it possible to plow snow w/ Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to plow snow w/ Explorers

Is it possible to plow snow w/ Explorers

• Not possible whatsoever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Possible only with a beefed up front suspension

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Possible for any explorer, stock or modified.

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

yosh18981898

Reaction score
City, State
Chana IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport 4x4
Do you think it is possible to plow snow with an explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For your driveway anyway. Unless really beefed up. Do a search here for snow plow. There are a few threads around telling what kind of plow they used and what they used it for.

I would say possible. From what I have read it does put extra strain on the vehicle though.

Let me know if you find a good plow for the front... I'm thinking the bigger problem is traction. When I get into snow that's more than 2 feet deep, I just don't even move, so I built some tire chains that seems to make quite a difference, now I can get into deeper snow, but I still need a little plow to keep it from going under the truck. I saw a guy with a little (like 20 inches high) plow on the front of his Ex, but I couldn't get him to stop, I think he thought I was crazy or something, so I don't know where he got it... What do you want to plow, streets or something?

I had a '91 Sport with a plow on it. I only kept it for a season, but it plowed really well when the auto hubs would stay locked. The plow was a Meyer max with the plastic blade and the push button controls. I think it was a 7'. Meyer does not have a listing for Explorer, so I am assuming that someone adapted one for a Dakota or something like that. The plow and lift were really easy to install and remove, just a couple of pins to hold it together. However, when the blade was up, the front was definitely squatting. I would recommend a Meyer set-up based on my experience, but it definitely was hard on the front suspension.

I see an explorer at school about every day parked and it has what I believe is a 7' plow, but it is a Fisher. It is not beefed up in the front at all and does sag. I talked to a guy on here who lives near me and he has a plow on his Ex. but he has an air bag or something like one inside of his coils to hold it up. I would say the main problem with plowing would be the strain on the auto tranny, especially the a4ld in 91-94 explorers.

I don't want to plow anything right now. I was just wondering if it was possible. I have the 5 speed in my 92 sport so if I got a more aggressive clutch and some airbags for the front, I think I'd be fine.

If you do that then you should have no problems plowing. :)

Heres one for sale for a 96 ranger- it shoudl fit the 95-01 explorers.
s6.5 meyer snow plow

ALL trucks sag with the weight of a plow. The right size and you should be fine. I used to sub contract for a guy who used an Ex and a ranger to plow bank lots, small office lots. Each of them was equipt with a small Meyer (either 6.5 or 7foot) plow on them. I never heard if they had any problems- I never needed to do their lots, and for a while I was a boss, if the truck that was assigned didnt show or broke it was mine to clean up.

Traction wont be a problem, you dont plow 2 feet of snow- unless you are in deep trouble. :D Plow with the storm. Easier on the equipment.
I would get manual hubs though on the early models - you back up frequently plowing snow.

Back