Is preventive transmission repair worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is preventive transmission repair worth it?

cross6

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
I'm comfortable working with trannies and valve bodies, lots of 4R70W experience with tbirds and mustangs.

I've seen all the common high mileage problems mentioned on this site for the tranny in our explorers, valve body gasket failures, servo bore wear, solenoid module gasket failing/blowing out.

I've got 168K and am just now starting to experience things like harsh shift into reverse and etc. (It's not u joints or anything, checked.)

Would it be worth me installing a shift kit, replacing the bonded valved body gaskets, and doing the servo o-ring kit to prevent problems/burnt bands, or do you think it's too late/waste of parts?

This thread was moved into the transmission section. Since you already have high mileage, and no immediate major issues (or trouble codes with flashing lights), it might be a good idea to replace the fluid & filter to keep everything in the system clean. An external filter & heavy duty cooler are also recommended.

Back