• Register Today It's free!

JBL subwoofer replacement.

Pauliver

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V-8
JBL Premium sound system in 1996 Explorer XLT. Need replacement subwoofer as the factory speaker has gone bad (cone material decomposed).
Can you point me to a new equivalent that fits in the rear right compartment.
Thank you from a new forum member.
Pauliver

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

www.partsexpress.com might have some options

You could carve out an OEM enclosure to accept a larger speaker, as I did in my Budget Bass project...

click on image for larger view
th_106_0691.jpg

www.partsexpress.com might have some options

You could carve out an OEM enclosure to accept a larger speaker, as I did in my Budget Bass project...

click on image for larger view
th_106_0691.jpg

Between PartsExpress and McMaster-Carr, the only other thing you need in life is bacon!

Replacement sub-woofer for '96 Explorer XLT with JBL system

I recently bought a '96 Explorer XLT with the JBL system and a dead sub-woofer (mid-bass driver).Searching the forums for ideas for an exact replacement gave me a few leads,but no results,because currently,what may have worked a few years ago,is no longer available. A Ford replacement part is no longer available and the currently available version of the JL sub-woofer that someone suggested is a wee bit larger in circumference than what was previously available and won't fit without modification.I wanted an exact fit for the stock enclosure,and what I found was a Dayton Audio DC 160-4,4 ohm, 6.5 inch woofer rated at 60 watts RMS,ordered on Amazon.com, delivery and all was just over $32. Very pleased with the results! Thought I would pass this along,and maybe save someone else some effort. Factory wiring colors,black / light green + , black /white - ,to ensure proper polarity in connecting the terminals.

Any 6.5 inch woofer should work as long as it's not too deep.
So basically a slim mount sub.

6.5 inch woofer

trying to find a 4-ohm speaker that measured 165mm outside diameter was the hard part.I looked at several that were considered 6.5 inch speakers, but the outside diameter was 6 and 7/8ths or 7 inches,and most were 2 or 8 ohm. Larger than 165mm requires modification of some sort,and my goal was to avoid that if possible,depth was not my first concern. I also tried an Infinity 6.5 inch lower end from a component set,but the sound was hideous. It fit perfectly,but no where near the sound I was looking for,but a true woofer was just what I needed. Guess I'll eventually put the Infinitys in my front doors!

Back