just did oil change low on oil??? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just did oil change low on oil???

Although probably already covered here in essence, all engines use some oil, engines from 40-50 years ago in general used more oil than today's engines.

It is not unusual for modern engines to use little to no oil between even extended oil change intervals, causing some folks to fail to check oil as often as should be checked.

Since I started driving 40 years ago, I will tell you that I trend all of my cars in terms of how much oil is used between changes and I change my oil at consistent intervals, allowing me to note oil use per xK miles.

A typical car maintenance log entry would state: Changed oil 10/23/10 with xx brand filter, model # xxxx, and 6 quarts of 5W-20 Mobil 1 oil. Oil dipstick level prior to change indicates a use of 1 pint in the last 5000 miles. No leaks evident underbody (this is also one of the reasons I change my own oil).

Note that over time for a long-term keeper I can actually trend oil usage, and even corroborate the use rate with compression checks over time.

Why do I do this? Back in the day, engines wearing out and the impending rebuild to renew the rings and cylinder were cause to consider either getting ready to trade it or rebuild it. Since this 'exercise' (although admittedly quite pedantic) takes less than one minute per oil change, it provides me with some assurance that at least this is one area I need not worry about sneaking up and biting me with an expensive mandatory repair.

This assurance, in addition to other actions I am taking, has resulted in my keeping cars longer (read: saving money), since I don't need to trade on conjecture. In contrast, my father just replaced one of his cars with a new one since the old one had gone over 100K miles and he didn't feel confident in it anymore - there was nothing wrong with it.

Actual data:

My 2002 Limited Ex 4.6L @ 110K miles uses about 3/8 quart between 5000 mile oil changes, and has increased from a use of about 1 cup (8oz) per 5000 miles at 50K miles on the odo.

My 1998 Volvo V90 @ 122K miles uses about 1 quart every 5000 miles. When this one gets to 1 quart per 1000 miles, it's time to prep for the rebuild or get ready to trade it (I'll trade it - i'm only keeping it now to maximize the amount of money I'm saving and putting elsewhere).

My 2006 Corvette @ 46K miles uses about 4 oz per 5000 miles.

Sorry for the long post.

Well said Rhino :thumbsup:

Back