• Register Today It's free!

Keeps Dying When Started

Techmonster

Reaction score
City, State
St. Cloud, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
My Parents 99 X 4.0 Sohc Engine Keeps Dying When Started. When You Start It, You Have To Keep Your Foot On The Gas And Rev The Engine About 1500rpm So It Will Not Cut Out And Die. You Can Do This For 30sec. To 5 Min And It Will Still Die If You Let Off Of It. The Only Way It Will Not Die Is If You Put In In Reverse Or Drive And Drive A Few Blocks. It Will Then Hold It's Own. There Is No Check Engine Light On. I'm Thinking Idle Air Control Valve, But What Confuses Me Is That An Engine Light Would Be On If That Was The Case I Thought. Any Thoughts? Is Has Had A Plugs And Wires Done In The Last 30k Wih Motorcraft Plats. Vehicle Has About 130,000 Miles On It.

Thanks For Any Input And Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even though the CEL isn't on, it could have thrown a code. Pull the codes. IAC sounds like a good possibility as well.

My car did the exact same thing last week. To get the thing to idle i revved it up to like 4000 rpm and all was well after that...? Ive had a recurring hard start issue, as well. Just yesterday I replaced the IAC. So far so good. Check your codes first, but id recommed replacing it. There on rockauto.com for something like 60 or 70 dollars. Extremely easy to replace. Good luck.

You can also try cleaning the IAC instead of replacing it.

I found that cleaning only worked for a few months before the problem came back. It's only a $60 part, just replace it and save yourself the hassle.

Cleaning the IAC never worked for me either; replacement solved my problems.

thanks for all this input...this is helping very much

i cleaned the IAC twice, then replaced it with a new one. The CEL never came on for me, just died. Sounds like that is your problem.

I got the CEL 3 months after I cleaned mine. You'll only get it if you can get the motor to idle at all. And then it has to idle low to trip the CEL.

i have been having a similar problem. mine only occurs when its freezing outside though. which in IL right now is most of the time

Back