KKM California?

flyguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT V8
Does anyone know it the KKM air filter is legal in Cali on a '94? I had one in and the smog guy made me take it out... well.. its back in now but I hooked up all my emmissions hoses and what not to the filter after a bit of drilling. Still illegal? I just want to know so I dont have to pay for 2 smog checks again. :)

Nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

K&N does

My K&N Filtercharger came with a CARB sticker to put under the hood just incase of such problems as yours. I don't know about the KKM, but if you need to run it in Cali, you may need to get the K&N. Good luck,

As far as I know K&N does not make an open air filter for the '94. If someone knows diffrently let me know! Or if there are some easy modifications to get it to work on a '94. What I need to do is get a carb sticker!!!

Nick

KKM will not pass visual in California. KKM does not expect to get CARB exemption anytime. Do yourself a favor and remove the KKM before getting smoged, and re-install after. I know it's a pain in the ass, but it worth it to me for the extra performance.

Doh!

Ca Air Resources Board

Ahh, the joys and benefits(???) of living in Californicatya! .... the modified vehicle owner's hell.

I have the k&N drop in relacement filter, and yes, it has the "C.A.R.B." stacker. I have discretely drilled the airbox in hard to see locations 'cause I fear even those holes would cause one to fail the visual portion of the smog inspections. Been through several smog inspections, so far, so good .

Someone, sorry I don't remember who, at Truckhaven 2000 told me that their JET chip caused them to fail and be declared a "Gross Polluter" (probably a fate worse than death in CA) Does anyone have any experience with the JET in this regard. I'm going to pull mine out before smog check next time, just to be safe.

Any other hinks and kinks about passing (or failing) CA smog inspections would be greatly appreciated!

I have a jet chip in and my emmissions were fine. Well under acually. His car must just blow goats. :)

nick

P.S. Not that mine is too hot either.. as you may have read in my other post... its in the shop. :)

flyguy

Are they doing dyno smog testing yet in Bakerfield? I heard that Sacramento is doing them already and the last time I had a car smogged in Concord, they had a dyno smog unit on order.

I am curious/concerned how they are going to dyno smog test my 98. If they put the rear tires on the dyno, the auto 4WD will cause the front to pull the truck off the dyno. I guess there will have to be special ($$$$$$$$$) smog check places for traction control (not brake control type) vehicles.

I think they do... I dont know about the 4x4 thing though. I was pondering the same thing.

AWD Explorers or vehicles with traction control that can't be turned off will not need to be run on a dyno. It will be tested standing still at 2500rpm and idle. As for the JET chip, the timing was probably advanced causing HC (hydrocarbons) to go up.

Ed (Smog Tech, no flames please)

Jet Chip Again

Ed,

Since you are a smog tech, what would be your reccomendation: remove the chip for the test, or risk leaving it in? You mentioned the timing, but is there anything we can do to change the ignition timing to make better or worse smog-wise? I was under the impression that the igntioon timimg was controlled completely by the computer. Obviously, I want to be able to pass the next smog check without hassles, so any advice you might give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

My recommendation is to remove the chip a couple of days before your smog check so the ECM can learn your driving habits. And yes, igition timing is controlled by the computer, but the chip will trick the ecm into advancing the timing so you can get a better kick off the line(plus richen up the mixture).

Things like an air filter or a cat-back exhaust won't affect the emmisions. However you will fail the visually if you remove the air box because older Explorers have a TAC(thermostatic air control) system.

And for people who think driving their cars on the freeway for a good 30 mins before doing the smog check, it's pretty much useless and wasting gas. This is because if your vehicle is failing emissions, the smog computer will automatically have the smog tech run the engine at 2500rpm for 3 minutes to warm everything up and then it will take another test sample... so don't waste your gas driving around all day.

sorry for the long post....

Hey smog guy! When I put my KKM filter on (removing the air box) I drilled in the TAC to the bottom of the filter. Will that pass me on the visual? or did I just drill for fun? At least I dont have hanging wires now...

Smog Check info

91 Explorer (Ed),

Thanks for the good info and no prob. about the post length. Anything we can learn about the smog check system is really great for us "Dang Callyforneans". ;-)

Thanks again!!!

flyguy,

What you did with the TAC hose is called "modified", which is even worst(hehe). Actually drilling holes into the air box is modifying too. The reason for being modified on your truck is because the TAC is controlled by a flapper door and vacuum hoses... do you have the flapper motor installed with the proper vacuum hoses connected to it? Well regardless, I think any smog station would fail your truck as modified...Sorry...

Oh, btw, anyone ever thought about running a big tube from the grill or under the bump to the air filter as some sort of cold air induction?

Originally posted by Jim F
flyguy

Are they doing dyno smog testing yet in Bakerfield? I heard that Sacramento is doing them already and the last time I had a car smogged in Concord, they had a dyno smog unit on order.

I am curious/concerned how they are going to dyno smog test my 98. If they put the rear tires on the dyno, the auto 4WD will cause the front to pull the truck off the dyno. I guess there will have to be special ($$$$$$$$$) smog check places for traction control (not brake control type) vehicles.

Here in Arizona, the smog checks are done every 2 years. You don't need a smog check if the vehicle is 5 years old of less unless the vehicle is from out of state. I had to have my '97 checked 2 years ago when I moved here. They use the dyno for the checks. Since my Explorer is Control Trac equipped they only do the idle check on mine. I will have to bring it in every year though after it is 5 years old.

Robert

KKM Induction Kit

I noticed in the instructions that the head riser is disconnected in the process and a vacuum line is left dangling. Don't you need the heat riser for something useful. If you're disconnecting things and plugging things in the process doesn't something not function correctly when you're thru ???

BRlarue
96 XLT
Seattle, WA

Thats what I thought... I had hoses just hangin around.. thats why I put em back in the filter... but to tell you the truth... nothing happened when they were disconnected. I dont get that egr stuff. Oh... speaking of the cold air induction. I am doing just that... as soon as I get my new heads in that is... I got some thick plasitc to make some walls around the airbox... and some weather stripping to seal to the hood... and then Im gunna run a 4 inch pipe from....well...i dont know where... but then it will come up to the filter. I want something like the FIPK... but also with some cooler air coming in. I was going to put a thermoeter next to the air filter before and after to see whats up. Letcha know how it goes. HEy! anyone know where I can get some plasitic on the cheap? I want about 1/4inch thick... but at hardware stores alls I can find is come cool lookin plexiglass that thick. but its too expensive for something like this.. the stuff I had is taxicab yellow... Im pretty sure thats gunna look... uhhh.. intresting.. under the hood...

Nick

Back