• Register Today It's free!

leaking trans

black crowe

Reaction score
City, State
louisville,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 EB
For anybody in the know out there, my trans was leaking fairly bad recently and dont know why. I took it to local shop and they charged me 150.00 to change filter, fluid etc.(i know, i got raped!) anyway, still leaked so i tried a stop leak treatment(4.00) and it seams to have stopped. Are they ok to use? Would a total flush help(i heard they can somtimes make things worse). Since i dont have 2,500.00 burning a hole in my pocket im trying to find simple solution. Any help appreciated

There is a few places it can leak . The front seal (behind the torque converter) the rear seal (driveshaft) , the lines to the cooler(s) , the speedometer cable /sensor , or the case joints (includes pan) . Be sure to check that when they put the gasket on the pan they didnt bust it . If you tighten them down to tight it will break the gasket and cause a leak again .
Id go back to the place who did the work and have them repair the leak or refund your 150 dollars . The stop leak stopping it means it is likely a seal , front or rear . The stop leak for trannies usually is just a seal lubricant type material (like mineral spirits ) it causes the seals to swell and thus stops the leak . When the stuff wears off the leak will come back .
The torque converter itself can get a crack and leak but that dosent happen often ( same with the tranny case ) .

Thanks for the info lemondrop.

Back