• Register Today It's free!

leaky windshield '89 ranger

watermellon

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
white 1989 ranger, 2.3l
I've got an '89 ranger that leaks water onto the floor mats. I can't see where the leak is coming from but I assume it's from a poor windshield seal. I was going to try running a bead of windshield sealant around the edge of the windshield but I cannot because there's a chrome molding around the whole windshield. I'm not sure how to remove the molding. I even checked my Haynes manual and it doesn't show anything. I thought of trying to pry it off with a screwdriver or putty knife but I'm not sure if I'll damage anything by doing it that way. If anyone can help me... thanks.

Check your heater core before you pry off the windshield. The way I figure out leak from the windshield is sprinkle flour around the windshield and get air blower and slowly blow the inside edge of your windshield. If you see flour blowing away from the edge, thats where you need to fix.

Ranger Al, when you mention air blower do you mean to turn the heater blower on and have the defroster blowing on the windshield? Or do you mean using a hand held blower and blowing on the edges of the windshield from the inside of the truck? Also I take it that the flour is sprinkled on the outside of the windshield right? I just want to make sure I'll be doing it right when I attempt to find the leak. Thanks Ranger Al.

Oh yah, you also suggest I check the heater core. Do I just check for leaks where the hose attachments are? Or is there something else I should be looking for?

If it's leaking onto the passenger side, remove the glovebox, and look up underneath the dash. You may find a rusty area where two panels are spot welded together. The joint is vertical, and sometimes the very top surface of the joint is not sealed properly.
tom

Back