• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate Won't Open

ShipTrainRocket

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ford ExplorerLimited
My trunk won't open and we have tried everything...the key fob, sensors under the car, pushing the button next to the passenger seat, etc. There is a "Liftgate Open" warning displayed every time I start the car, and when I go into settings on the steering wheel "Power Liftgate" is grey (other selections being blue) and unaccessible. Any idea what the problem is? Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check the fuse. Indications look like it may have blown.
Also check your door keypad. If the wires chafe, it will blow that fuse.

See:
Thank you so much for taking your time to help! We have since solved the problem thanks to this forum, so I'm gonna do my part and mention what fixed it for anyone who comes here with the same issue BUT... minus the keypad. Most every post mentioned the keypad was damaged; however, mine was working just fine. I FINALLY saw someone say they had the exact same issue and the fix was to disconnect and reconnect the battery. It worked.

Thank you so much for taking your time to help! We have since solved the problem thanks to this forum, so I'm gonna do my part and mention what fixed it for anyone who comes here with the same issue BUT... minus the keypad. Most every post mentioned the keypad was damaged; however, mine was working just fine. I FINALLY saw someone say they had the exact same issue and the fix was to disconnect and reconnect the battery. It worked.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The battery disconnect does clear up some issues and will also require your vehicle to relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy. That will happen after driving 12 miles according to the Manual. BTW, a blown fuse should not cause a valid feature to be 'greyed out'. I believe that is usually a sign of a software issue.

Peter

The battery disconnect does clear up some issues and will also require your vehicle to relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy. That will happen after driving 12 miles according to the Manual. BTW, a blown fuse should not cause a valid feature to be 'greyed out'. I believe that is usually a sign of a software issue.
Petite could be a faulty bcm

So I had the same issue with my 2017 Ford Explorer lift gate and it was the foot sensor/ door keypad Fuse which is under the steering column. It’s a 5 amp fuse number 10 the sucuricode and hands free lift gate. Changed the fuse and lift gate Ajar is off and door opens just fine

So I had the same issue with my 2017 Ford Explorer lift gate and it was the foot sensor/ door keypad Fuse which is under the steering column. It’s a 5 amp fuse number 10 the sucuricode and hands free lift gate. Changed the fuse and lift gate Ajar is off and door opens just fine
Thanks for the info.

Peter

I have a 2018 ford explorer xlt. And the liftgate does not open at all with the keypad nor the press button on the driver side. Bought the Explorer June 6th of 2023, it is now July 21st 2023. Please anything helps.

I have a 2018 ford explorer xlt. And the liftgate does not open at all with the keypad nor the press button on the driver side. Bought the Explorer June 6th of 2023, it is now July 21st 2023. Please anything helps.
When you said "keypad" did you mean the keyfob? Have you tried the button on the liftgate itself? Does it unlock when you press the buttons or do you hear it trying to unlock?

Peter

When you said "keypad" did you mean the keyfob? Have you tried the button on the liftgate itself? Does it unlock when you press the buttons or do you hear it trying to unlock?

Peter
The Key Fob won't open. I try to open the liftgate by the lftgate itself and nothing and also the button on the inside for the driver. None work, and I domt hear anything activating when I push either of the 3 buttons.

The Key Fob won't open. I try to open the liftgate by the lftgate itself and nothing and also the button on the inside for the driver. None work, and I domt hear anything activating when I push either of the 3 buttons.
Have you checked the fuse? It is shown as fuse #69 in the engine bay fuse block in your Owner's Manual.

Peter

Hi!

I have a 2019 explorer and read this thread to try to fix my liftgate issue.

I’ve disconnected the battery for 30 mins - didn’t fix the issue.

I’ve replaced fuse 69 for the liftgate- didn’t fix the issue.

My liftgate option in settings is greyed out, what else can I trouble shoot?

Hi!

I have a 2019 explorer and read this thread to try to fix my liftgate issue.

I’ve disconnected the battery for 30 mins - didn’t fix the issue.

I’ve replaced fuse 69 for the liftgate- didn’t fix the issue.

My liftgate option in settings is greyed out, what else can I trouble shoot?
Welcome to the Forum Christine. :wave:
I believe there is a place in the Owner's Manual that mentions how to do a reset. Although with the Liftgate grayed out, I don't know if it will work.
The big question is why is the liftgate not available? Was anything done to the vehicle lately?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Christine. :wave:
I believe there is a place in the Owner's Manual that mentions how to do a reset. Although with the Liftgate grayed out, I don't know if it will work.
The big question is why is the liftgate not available? Was anything done to the vehicle lately?

Peter
Hi Peter!

No, I don’t have anything done to the car lately. I was driving on the freeway when the message popped up that the liftgate is open.

Hi Peter!

No, I don’t have anything done to the car lately. I was driving on the freeway when the message popped up that the liftgate is open.
Similar situations like that have occurred but they were caused by the Securicode keyless entry pad coming loose and damaging the wires. I also don't recall reports that the liftgate option became greyed out when that happened. I don't know if it could be a faulty liftgate module or not.
Hopefully, others may have an idea.
I'm guessing it still operates manually.

Peter

Back