SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
Good afternoon:

I am considering a tune for a 2019 Explore Sport and had a few questions. I am considering the purchase of the MAP sensor, t-stat and programmer. I already have the air intake. Any thoughts on the following:
  • I run 93 octane 98% of the time. What if I am out of my area and need to run 91, but have the 93 tune?
  • With the above items, what sort of gains can I expect – HP and TQ?
  • What sort of gain can I expect with the intake, t-stat and MAP sensor, alone?
  • How do I return the tune back to stock?
  • Is the tune stored in the computer in such a way the dealer can “see” that a tune had been installed and then removed?
  • What issues have we seen on this platform – Explorer Sport? Given it goes back to 2013, and there haven’t been that many changes (if any) to the motor/tranny, I’m curious what problems you’ve seen come up?
  • This is a daily driver; what impact am I going to see relative to comfort as it relates to shifts during normal driving? Up and down shifts.

Appreciate the insight - thanks very much!
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe EVERY question you ask has been already repeatedly answered in this forum. Do a search, it will answer all your questions, so we can delete this thred).

Kindly point me to the threads. I did do a search; though, I admit, briefly as I'm looking for current feedback. Not from a post a year ago - or some back to 2017. The more current, the more relevant it is to what I'm trying to decide about the tune. Especially, for the 2019 which seemed to be excluded from some of the parts availability.

Thank you!
Shumax

Kindly point me to the threads. I did do a search; though, I admit, briefly as I'm looking for current feedback. Not from a post a year ago - or some back to 2017. The more current, the more relevant it is to what I'm trying to decide about the tune. Especially, for the 2019 which seemed to be excluded from some of the parts availability.

Thank you!
Shumax
If you find a thread from a year ago or more just add your post to it and the thread will automatically move back to the top of the page for members to see. It will be no different than posting a new thread.

Peter

Good afternoon:

I am considering a tune for a 2019 Explore Sport and had a few questions. I am considering the purchase of the MAP sensor, t-stat and programmer. I already have the air intake. Any thoughts on the following:
  • I run 93 octane 98% of the time. What if I am out of my area and need to run 91, but have the 93 tune?
  • With the above items, what sort of gains can I expect – HP and TQ?
  • What sort of gain can I expect with the intake, t-stat and MAP sensor, alone?
  • How do I return the tune back to stock?
  • Is the tune stored in the computer in such a way the dealer can “see” that a tune had been installed and then removed?
  • What issues have we seen on this platform – Explorer Sport? Given it goes back to 2013, and there haven’t been that many changes (if any) to the motor/tranny, I’m curious what problems you’ve seen come up?
  • This is a daily driver; what impact am I going to see relative to comfort as it relates to shifts during normal driving? Up and down shifts.

Appreciate the insight - thanks very much!
Shumax

Thanks for your interest in our products and services!

Many customers keep their tuner in the vehicle with them when traveling or drop to a slightly less aggressive tune safe for lower octane fuels. If you had the 93 tune installed, no tuner with you, and ended up getting stuck with 91, you would just want to take it very easy and try to stay out of boost until you could get some 93 or get home to drop down to a 91 or lower tune. So long as it was 91 on the 93 tune the ECU can compensate and pull a few degrees of timing, but 87 on a 93 tune for example could be disastrous.

With a similar T440 bundle package we offer which includes the 3 bar, Evenflo thermostat, and Windstorm cold air intake we've seen gains in upwards of 70 wheel HP and 90 WTQ on 93 octane fuels. The 3 bar map requires a tune, but just a cold air and t-stat alone would probably only see about 7-10 whp without a tune if I had to guess.

Our Mycal tuning device backs up a copy of your factory tune the first time you use the device and also will store a copy on our cloud server the first time you update it afterwards. Any time you'd feel the need to return to the stock tune you would just select Return to stock under the Programming menu and the tune would be completely removed in a matter of minutes.

The tune itself does not leave a permanent foot print or watermark in the system. However the days of being able to return a vehicle to stock and no one be the wiser are probably gone for good. As computers increase in capability, so do the memories of those computers. I would say the best advice is to be open, and honest with your dealership. I am not saying Ford will for sure honor anything, but just go into it knowing these are the risks but this is where our unparalleled experience is paramount.

We've not seen any major issues with these vehicles over the years when maintained and treated well. But there are common things like our Windstorm catch cans that are suggested to help ensure the best results with longevity and reliability along with doing regular maintenance on time like spark plugs, fluids, etc. Daily driving these vehicles with our tuning and modifications will behave nice and tame like stock but more responsive on the throttle and less confused feeling when shifting. Then if you decide to drive a bit more spirited it shifts noticeably more aggressive with a significant amount of extra power while still being street friendly. Our Mycal tuners are also on sale this month $100 off if you were not already aware. Feel free to give us a call PM or email if you'd like to discuss this a bit further and we would be happy to help. Thanks again!

313-561-5500 ext 1
tuning@livernoismotorsports.com

Thanks for your interest in our products and services!

Many customers keep their tuner in the vehicle with them when traveling or drop to a slightly less aggressive tune safe for lower octane fuels. If you had the 93 tune installed, no tuner with you, and ended up getting stuck with 91, you would just want to take it very easy and try to stay out of boost until you could get some 93 or get home to drop down to a 91 or lower tune. So long as it was 91 on the 93 tune the ECU can compensate and pull a few degrees of timing, but 87 on a 93 tune for example could be disastrous.

With a similar T440 bundle package we offer which includes the 3 bar, Evenflo thermostat, and Windstorm cold air intake we've seen gains in upwards of 70 wheel HP and 90 WTQ on 93 octane fuels. The 3 bar map requires a tune, but just a cold air and t-stat alone would probably only see about 7-10 whp without a tune if I had to guess.

Our Mycal tuning device backs up a copy of your factory tune the first time you use the device and also will store a copy on our cloud server the first time you update it afterwards. Any time you'd feel the need to return to the stock tune you would just select Return to stock under the Programming menu and the tune would be completely removed in a matter of minutes.

The tune itself does not leave a permanent foot print or watermark in the system. However the days of being able to return a vehicle to stock and no one be the wiser are probably gone for good. As computers increase in capability, so do the memories of those computers. I would say the best advice is to be open, and honest with your dealership. I am not saying Ford will for sure honor anything, but just go into it knowing these are the risks but this is where our unparalleled experience is paramount.

We've not seen any major issues with these vehicles over the years when maintained and treated well. But there are common things like our Windstorm catch cans that are suggested to help ensure the best results with longevity and reliability along with doing regular maintenance on time like spark plugs, fluids, etc. Daily driving these vehicles with our tuning and modifications will behave nice and tame like stock but more responsive on the throttle and less confused feeling when shifting. Then if you decide to drive a bit more spirited it shifts noticeably more aggressive with a significant amount of extra power while still being street friendly. Our Mycal tuners are also on sale this month $100 off if you were not already aware. Feel free to give us a call PM or email if you'd like to discuss this a bit further and we would be happy to help. Thanks again!

313-561-5500 ext 1
tuning@livernoismotorsports.com

Thank you. I sent an email, similar to the above, to your contact email address on Sunday. Have not heard back yet. Await that reply and look forward to discussing more in detail.
Thanks again!

Thank you. I sent an email, similar to the above, to your contact email address on Sunday. Have not heard back yet. Await that reply and look forward to discussing more in detail.
Thanks again!
You are very welcome, happy to help out!

Thanks for the heads up and sorry for the wait. I just looked through our inquiries from Sunday and did not see anything that matched your screen name or seemed like it was from you. So feel free to PM me your email address and I can take a further look if you still haven't heard back from us. We usually get a couple hundred emails a day over the weekends which has increased even further with the tuner sale we're running this month. So it can take 24-48 hrs Mon-Fri on average depending on workload in the queue to get a response on something like this. Thanks again!

Back