• Register Today It's free!

lowering my 4x4 ???

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have decided to lower my truck to aid in the fuel economy. Since I have purchased it I have been modifying it for off road. But as it turns out, I don't off road that often. every time I go, something bad happens. Very soon I will have several thing for sale, like tire and rims and lift kits. So stay tuned.

On with the show.
I am wanting more of a car like ride. The cars I have are Mazda RX7s, and I know that this truck will never handle like they do. I want it as low as possible for fuel economy, but I still need to navigate poor Memphis road every day. But some of these sports cars around town are really low.
One of the first major things I'm going to do is wheels and tires. I was thinking of 20s but I am worried about rub. So maybe 17s or 18s is the way to go? Any thoughts? I am considering using the 98+ fiber front kit. I think that that body style is the most aero. Any thoughts here?
I know that at least one set of lowering springs are available. Are there any comments from anyone that has used a set of lowering springs?
I would like a nice shock absorber system too. I am going to replace the bushings because they need it.

Other things I will do is engine mods. 2nd gen exhaust manifold and Crane or MSD ignition box. Possible retro fitting on of these standalone ECU from the RX7.

I have considered selling the truck and buying a diesel Liberty, but those guys aren't cheap.
So please I need guidance on finding quality, affordable parts.

Thanks
TwEaKed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt lowering the vehicle will gain you much in the MPG department cauz its basically a brick going down the road ;). Driving slower and easier accelerations will probably net more MPG than lowering and all those products you mentioned.

I have a lowered 4x4 the lowest you can go without doing a 4x4 swap is 2inches in the front(ranger coils) and how ever much you want in the back... but to make it ride the best like a street car go to www.explorerexpress.com and get swaybars front and back and the eldelbrock shocks I have 18's with enff tire so i dont die on pot holes but if you have any questions just pm me!

....don't try to kid yourself into thinking that lowering the X will net you any gains in MPG....

if your are after MPG gains, do something like:

Do not let your X rev past 2500-2700, likely you have a Automatic....so that is MORE difficult to accomplish, but it IS possible....I have a Manual Transmission, and I have been able to keep the revs to 2300-2500, and I have gotten as much as 23mpg out of my X..

Other than THAT....

Run some Seafoam through the vacuum line on your Throttle Body
Tune-Up
Oil Change
Air up your tires
Modify your Throttle Body
Electric Fan
UnderDrive Pulleys

Lowering a car will reduce the amount of air under the vehicle. I noticed a slight improvement when I lowered my 86 RX7. I expect more from this truck because the 7 was already pretty low. Besides, everyone knows that when you lift a truck you MPG goes down. So it would be the opposite if you lowered it.

By the way I have the 5 speed.

Tbird94, what size tires are you running? And what is the measurements of you wheels? ie back spacing and width. Just stock ranger coils are a 2" drop? What year?

How did you drop your truck 5" Spdrcer34? do you have any trouble with rubbing?

I regularly run seafoam and I keep it well tuned and running full synthetic.

whether a BRICK is 4" off the ground, or 4' off the ground......it's STILL A BRICK!

I do have some minor rubbing at full lock with suspension travel ( turning & hitting a bump at the same time)

Since you have done all the other things....it's time to start making the motor itself more efficient.....

Since you DO have a manual....seriously KEEP THE REVS down....shift at 2300-2500, you'll notice a HUGE gain over shifting @ 3000+

My X came stock with 3.23 open...I upgraded to 3.73 posi, and I actually gained a little mileage in town driving....highway was almost the exact same.

Modded TB ( I have a write-up here, with pics of what to do)
Electric fan (from a Taurus, or buy the Black Magic Xtreme)
Under drive pulley (ASP racing makes them)

Ryan

You can get Eibach coils for the front that lower it 2 inches. Best bet on the rear is to take it to a spring shop and have them de-arch the leaves, or you can do it the cheap way and use 2 in. lowering blocks. Polyurethane bushings, especially on the sway bars, will improve handling greatly. Energy Suspension makes a kit. Lowering won't get you any better mileage around town, but at highway speeds, it can have some effect. Larger wheels and tires, and especially wider tires, with a softer compound, will REALLY make your gas mileage MUCH worse, since they weigh more and have more friction than stock. The lifted 4x4's don't get poor mileage because they're lifted, they get poor mileage since the engine has to burn more fuel to move those 50 lb mud tires. Put 50 lb 20" wheels on a lowered vehicle, it will have the same effect.

You best bet for improved mileage is to use highway-tread tires with 30-35 psi, keep the revs down below 2500 RPM, use good detergent gasoline and stay away from the discount stuff, and keep up the maintenance items like spark plugs, spark plug wires, oil changes, tranny/differential/transfer case fluids, etc.

whether a BRICK is 4" off the ground, or 4' off the ground......it's STILL A BRICK!
x2 -- IMO, in a smaller car (an RX7) the weight, and other variables, is smaller so changes in the aerodynamics is pretty significant. However, in an SUV, the mass of the vehicle is the dominant varialbe in efficiency so lowering the vehicle down a little won't really make much of a difference.

x3

I also think that a lot of the reasons for saying that a lifted X getting worse mpg is because of other things changed at the same time, big tires, ect.

Back