• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the stock Explorer

mikesmithis007

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I'm sure we all know how top heavy the stock explorers are, and I was wondering if it is possible to lower the suspension a safe amount to counterract this, and/or lower the truck's center of gravity in any way.

Any ideas are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Sure, you can get lowering springs for the front, lowering it about 2 inches.

Use a matching lowering block in the rear, or de-arched leaf springs, or use 2-door/sport leaf springs on a 4-door for lowering and softer suspension.

To go lower than that you'd need drop I-beams on the front.

Lowering a 2wd Explorer is entirely possible, as Anime described. Not so easy with a 4WD due to the TTB setup.

Honestly I haven't noticed my Explorers acting "top heavy". Both are 4WD. On my two door Explorer, I installed a set of stiff Edelbrock IAS shocks and the handling improved tremendously, making it corner very well. Since then I've also added Explorer Express swaybars with poly bushings and it's even better. It is frankly scary the speeds at which I can throw it around corners. Addco makes a good sway bar set as well.

The Explorer got a bad rap due to the Firestone debacle but its reputation as "top heavy" is entirely undeserved in my opinion. I've never felt less than total confidence in its handling.

^what he said. The explorers handle extremely well for being what they are. I've pulled my inside tires up a few times, but more often then not it'll slide.

Do you simply want to lower for better handling? Safety? Or looks? And what's your budget?

Back