• Register Today It's free!

M5OD-R1 Low Gear Swap Questions

minelson17

Reaction score
City, State
Keizer OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLS
Ok so I've been doing a fair amount of reading up on the M5OD-R1 transmission lately on here, the rangerstation, and elsewhere, and I find some conflicting information. So I just wanted to make sure I had it right. I know there was a few other platforms for this transmission, but below are the ones I was interested in and could find multiple sources on.

My question is, is it possible to swap the lower 1-3 gears from the smaller ranger motors into the 4.0 application for the M5OD-R1's, or could the lower geared R1 bolt up to a 4.0 OHV possibly as is?

What potential issues would have to be addressed in such a tranny build, or would this even be worth the trouble at all?

Furthermore....is my research of the different gearing of the M5OD-R1 even correct?

Alot of questions I know, but any help or link shedding light on these would be appreciated.

Attachments

• M5OD-R12.jpg
    M5OD-R12.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,787

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow...well that's great! Thanks for the link. That will be good to know for future tranny rebuild.

I was planning on doing that with mine but I'll probably just buy a used M5R1-HD.

..:shifty_ey ..Now everyone's learning even more reasons why I love my little 2.3L Ranger..:D

Yea! Add a little more power and just imagine! That's about the best combo for a Ranger.

or could the lower geared R1 bolt up to a 4.0 OHV possibly as is?

If you can find one from a 2.9L, it will.
Unfortunately 4WD versions of this trans are pretty rare (I got lucky when I found the one for my BII).

Seems only a portion of 1990 2.9L 4WD Rangers had them.

Just something to think about if you are doing a rebuild- gears aren't cheap. Figure close to $100 per gear.

Might be possible to find a junk M5R1 with the gearing you want and pull the gears if they are ok.

Might be possible to find a junk M5R1 with the gearing you want and pull the gears if they are ok.

That's the ideal way. Find a similar drive(4x4 or 4x2) and swap EVERYTHING over. You can keep your existing output shaft if you can't find the correct output trans.

Update on tranny rebuild

Been a while, but I've been driving on my "hybrid" tranny now for a a couple months. Feels great, much better off the line. Haven't seen any difference in my MPG (a tad better if anything). I scored a new 2.9L gear set for a pretty good price. I'd definitely recommend this mod to anyone driving a manual with over sized tires.

A little word to the wise though, watch out when you put it in 4Low 1st gear for the first time....it'll surprise you. We had a little ice/snow/frozen rain here a couple weeks ago and needless to say it "jumped" off the line when I put it in gear to see what it'd feel like in 4L haha.

Back