• Register Today It's free!

Magnaflow Catalytic Converters?

gto78

Reaction score
City, State
stuart, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB 2wd v-6
Hi, I just received my Magnaflow catalytic converter, and was shocked when I took it out of the box. It is about 1/3 the size of the original converter. The original equipment was almost $500 each, and this was only $160 with free shipping- and is a direct bolt on replacement assembly with NO WELDING. It is made by a well known name at least. BUT I don't know if it will help or hurt performance, or no change at all. If anything its about 1/2 the weight of the OE stuff.

Has anyone tried this converter? It looks funny because now I have one tiny little converter and one huge ugly ass stock one. When I can afford it I'll replace the other one so they match.

I installed a Walker Direct fit Cat on my girls mountaineer. I noticed the same problem I was half the size but works fine no codes. The only problem I had I couldn't get the bolts loose. I took it to a local muffler shop, they installed it for 80 bucks.

I hope it doesn't hurt performance. Since it's from Magnaflow I don't think I'll have any problems. Seems like all the new HIFLOW converters nowadays are smaller. I have a feeling it won't last as long as the factory one did.... which by the way was still OK when I took it apart and destroyed it.

The reason I emptied it out was because of a problem I had while driving that was making me think the exhaust was blocked up. I used a laser temp gun to determine that the converter on the right side was 300 degrees hotter than the other one. I figured that was the problem. BUT to be sure I hollowed it out and test drove it- problem was not solved. Now I have to replace the converter due to noise and CEL coming on. (problem ended up being chaffed ignition leads on the back of the engine)

Back