• Register Today It's free!

Manual transmission removal

ztree

Reaction score
City, State
Purcell, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 xlt 91 sport
Is there a way to remove the tranny without having to pull the bell housing off with it? Truck got wreaked and the thing got stuck into reverse and will not come out. Going to remove and disassemble to find problem. The less I have to take apart the better, especially when doing it under a carport with dirt floor. Thanks for any help someone could give.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transmission housing is pretty much a 1-piece deal, and theres no way around removing half the stuff under the truck to get it out. Driveshaft, transfer case (if 4WD), etc. all have to go. Removing the Y-pipe part of the exhaust helps, too. Might be a good idea to have a big piece of plywood under there to make using a jack to hold and lower the tranny easier.

Yep...as Anime4x4 said....the TRANSMISSION has a 1 piece body....

If it even LOOKS like it will be in the way, remove it....don't forget to pull the shifter out too...

Ryan

Thanks for the info. Guess I just have to bite the bullet and pull it out. While I was under the truck I also noticed the passenger side radius arm braket was bent. Dose any one have any idea how much these things cost?

take pics as needed, label any wires, label and keep track of all bolts.

plastic baggies and a sharpie are a must.

mark driveshaft at rearend so you put it on the same way.

good luck.

Back