Mazda or Mitsubishi Transmission in 02 Sport Trac? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mazda or Mitsubishi Transmission in 02 Sport Trac?

Clusterpup

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport Trac 4x4
Heh guys, how do I tell which manual transmission I have on my 02 Explorer Sport Trac?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reason I ask is because I want to change the fluid in it. My Hanyes manual says to use SAE 80W for Mitsubishi and Mercon auto transmission fluid for Mazda.

Invest in a genuine Ford Service Manual CD/DVD, you'll be glad you did. Ebay is a good source for them.

The available transmissions are:

D — Five-speed automatic overdrive, A5LDE-NR/5R44/55E
J — Five-speed manual, M5OD-R1 Mazda

Lubrication

The M50D-R1 transmissions are designed so that the internal parts operate in an oil bath circulated by the motion of the gears and shafts. All parts are amply lubricated if these procedures are followed:

Maintain the correct fluid level by inspecting it regularly.
Change the fluid at recommended intervals. For additional information, refer to the Owners Literature for the recommended intervals.
Use MERCON® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-2-QDX meeting Ford specification MERCON®.

Thanks for the info Steve. Thats a very good idea about the Ford manual. I will pick one up from Ebay soon.

Back