• Register Today It's free!

Message Center Buttons

Iowa Hick

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
For some reason the buttons on my message center don't always work, its pretty weird, last I checked the fuel economy button worked, the reset button worked, I believe the status button worked, and the oil reset and system check always work

A few weeks ago the miles to empty button worked but the status and fuel economy didn't, and sometimes the reset didnt,

It switches every once in a while, do I just need to clean it, replace it, what. Has this ever happened to anybody else

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can the switches be taken apart? They might just need to be cleaned...who knows what kinda crud has accumulated on those contacts. Might be worth looking into (if it's possible at all) just to save some money. Reason I ask if they can be cleaned is I know i've heard of window buttons stop working and all the need is cleaned.

Good Luck
CP :D

I need to clean mine when I actually have some time on my hands. I spilled coke all over the center console a year ago and now in the winter, all the buttons are stuck together. It sucks when I want to see a function, but another function pops up.

I kind of suspect its just dirty contacts, it just seemed weird to me that it switches between the two sets of buttons working

Maybe this weekend I will try to tear it apart, I need to change my oil and front brakes anyway

i had the exact same prob with mine..take the whole thing apart and clean EVERYTHING now it's like brand new!!

Ak I`M always amazed when I see your Ex !! its so clean !

Originally posted by Ak LTD Xplorer
i had the exact same prob with mine..take the whole thing apart and clean EVERYTHING now it's like brand new!!

Thats good to hear, I was afraid I was gonna have to either live with it or get another message center

Well I tore my message center all apart this weekend sprayed some WD-40 on all the contacts and in all the plugs and sure enough all my buttons work now, thanks guys

Awesome! I cleaned mine too with plain water and a knife to get between the buttons b/c that's where the coke resided over the past year. Now they aren't sticky anymore!! :)

glad it worked out for you guy's!!!

Back