Metal on metal rubbing

mkress345

Reaction score
City, State
Macungie
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello,

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT thats been having a constant rubbing noise when driving. It sounds to be coming from the rear drivers wheel area. I put my head out the window while driving and thats where it sounds like its coming from. A week or so ago it turned into metal on metal grinding which was my brake pads being gone. A little back story, both my rear rotors only had break wear on less than an inch on the rotor, the rest was rusted. They both looked like the picture below before the brakes wore on the one.

1662245277998.jpeg

Today I replaced the rotors and brakes hoping to get rid of the metal grinding/rubbing noise, but it still has the rubbing noise. 10 minutes after driving, the metal rubbing/grinding came back as well. Theres very faint marks on the new rotors as well that show the same brake usage as the picture. I also replaced the rear calipers last summer. Does anyone know what causes this minimal break wear on the rotor, and what could fix the rubbing/grinding sound? Im assuming the picture is probably part of the issue but i dont know where else to start looking.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the rotors were torn up you can’t just put new pads on them.

Sticking caliper piston or slides/pins.

I don't own a 2003 explorer. How is your tire wear? Looks like the caliper is holding everything upright.

Maybe the parking brake pads underneath rotors??? Have you looked at that?

Back