• Register Today It's free!

Motor swap questions............

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
I want to do a motor swap as well. I have several options being that I know several people willing to sell me entire Mustang 5.0 swaps for $300 to $1000 depending on how new and well conditioned the motor is. I even have offers to buy Toyota 2JZ's..........the problem is, how much modification is necessary for the 5.0 swap? let alone the 2JZ swap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, considering the 5.0L was actually INSTALLED in the 4Door Explorers...

If you buy a Totalled 5.0L Explorer (it must be 1998 to 2001 for your 2001 swap), it can EASILY be done in a weekend.

Ryan

i would make sure that the flywheel and the torque converter will bolt up to each other, and make sure that the engine will bolt to the tranny as well.

I think i'll go with the 5.0, being that I can get one for a way better price.........we'll see how it goes, when I get ready to do it, i'll post up pics

You will not get a Mustang 5.0L to swap in there in a weekend.

You are better off getting an entire Explorer to swap everything from.

You will have every part needed for the swap.

Ryan

I think i'll go with the 5.0, being that I can get one for a way better price.........we'll see how it goes, when I get ready to do it, i'll post up pics

The front dress on the Mustang (water pump, pulleys, brackets) are different.

You will also need the ECM from an Explorer. You will want to use the transmission from a 5.0 Explorer as well. The one for V6 will not hold up to the V8. A tranny cheange will also negate a transfer case swap as well.

It would be much easier & cheaper to sell your current Explorer and buy one with the 5.0

I have the 2 door explorer sport from 2001, I dont want the 4 door, but I want the motor

Back