(MPGs) Hydro 4000 / Fitch fuel catalyst. Truth or hype? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

(MPGs) Hydro 4000 / Fitch fuel catalyst. Truth or hype?

The system does not produce enough water liquid to hurt your engine. It filters the gas out throught a bubbler so only the gaseous O2 and H2 are put into your cyliners. It functions the same as nitrous, but without the pressure and amount injected. It is alot slower and produces more combustible atoms.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.0, can you personally attest to one of these systems? Im really interested in one

Not in my car, but like i said earlier i have experimented with them on weedwacker and edger motors. The only thing that i would maybe be worried about would be a hotter burn, since the added oxygen and leaner burn. If you search HHO cars on youtube or something like that you can see a bunch of people who have done it themselves.

My main concern is

Since the 02 will pick up a much cleaner burn, is the computer going to sense this as not enough fuel and too much air? If so, is it going to start dumping fuel in?

Is this going to add stress on the motor since they arent made for constant large/clean
"booms". It reminds me of constant nitrous

And on this note, the new Ford Edge boasts a technology that makes their cars extra clean and makes the "v6 run like a v8". They then showed blue gas being shot into the combustion chambers to make this happen. Is this a HHO system?

Yes, i understand the whole whole dumping in more fuel theory to account for the extra oxygen. Howeve it isn't just O2 that is going into the engine. you have to remember that H2 is also going into the engine, which acts as fuel. And in the process of electrolysis of water you get for every O2 molecule 2 H2 molecules. there is a lot of science behind the whole process and a bunch of chemistry.

The motor will not have near the stress that nitrous puts on a motor. You are only making around two liters of gaseous products per minute through HHO. Where as you have about 1000L of gases in a 10 lb nitrous tank which drains in a matter of minutes. So HHO would barely stress your motor.

I was looking on youtube about the edge. It looks to me that it is more like a hybridization of a hydrogen fuel cell car and a regular internal combustion engine. "Ford Edge with HySeries Drive is world's first drivable fuel cell hybrid electric vehicle with plug-in capability.
HySeries Drive technology is able to operate using a fuel cell, small gasoline or diesel engine connected to an electric generator to make electricity .
The HySeries combines an onboard hydrogen fuel cell generator with lithium ion batteries to deliver more than 41 mpg, while some drivers will see fuel economy well over 80 mpg. "

HHO in a motor cannot be compared to nitrous-no similarity at all. As for extra stress, it would only add stress if it was being used at wide open throttle AND if you were producing and inducing enough HHO to add HP which is not really the focus here. The idea is to add efficiency, tho more power is possible too. The hydrogen acts as sort of an accelerant to burning the fuel more completely in a shorter amount of time, as a bonus you're replacing a small amount of gasoline with the "free" hydrogen. Ideally you would redesign or at least re-tune the engine for HHO use, but "should" see gains letting the computer just do it's thing. I have an HHO generator I'm building and will be testing on my '98 5.0 exploder and will also transfer it around to my other vehicles to see what it does. I don't expect to see a lot of gains on a well tuned, efficient modern engine (18mpg on a 5.0 seems pretty good) but who knows. In some old carbed beast it may do more so my motorhome and boat are on the test list too. The one I'm building will have multiple cells that I'll probably wire up separately so I can play with the volume of HHO production. If only I had a "tuner" so I could see what goes on--but no $ for that so I'll just try & get some mileage numbers, it'll just take a while. Detonation is a possibility as hydrogen burns A LOT faster than gas, but the idea is that a small amount will act as somewhat of a catalyst, almost like having a huge powerful spark plug. If you were to use pure hydrogen as your only fuel you'd probably want way less timing advance, yet it burns so fast you'd probably have cooler metal surface temperatures as the fast burn would act more on pushing the piston with less time to soak into the combustion chamber (just guesses on my part). If I can boost my motorhome I might go wheeling-camping-boating more often as it currently gets 6ish mpg towing and almost 8 unloaded~ouch. I have two explorers ('96 OHV and the '98 5.0) and a buddy with a '97 OHC so if someone wanted to donate some kind of computer monitoring/tuner device I could get that info to post too. If my generator has any measurable success I'll be building more and I'll make a write-up here on how to build it. If it does nothing I'll make some outrageous claims and sell it to one of you guys for a few thousand bucks :).

I make HHO generators and sell them, I have a two cell unit installed on my 93 v6 Explorer, i got a gain of 4/9, yes I manipulated the computer... very little manipulation. But the units I have sold, I have heard of stupid gain! Dude I just sold mine to is name Scott, put it on his little chevy 4 banger, got 18 highway gain running one cell.

I make HHO generators and sell them, I have a two cell unit installed on my 93 v6 Explorer, i got a gain of 4/9, yes I manipulated the computer... very little manipulation. But the units I have sold, I have heard of stupid gain! Dude I just sold mine to is name Scott, put it on his little chevy 4 banger, got 18 highway gain running one cell.

Do you have any pictures of your unit? More details?

Thanks ....

I had seen those two youtube videos before, I'd like to look into that soon.

Swain, I cannot check this at work, but what are you selling this for? What type of guarantee do you carry?

i have been reading and it seems what people are doing is adding a "EFIE unit" to keep the car from running to lean/rich. i googled it and came up with a number of interesting reads. heres one of the links http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/EfieDescribed.html

if all this works, id be damned but ima have to try something

Id love to try somthing like the Hydro4000, but in my personal oppinion I wouldnt try it until it comes with a better warranty. The cost for this is around $1200 and should pay for itself within a year, but the warrentee is only covered for a year. So if it breaks or stops working after the year is up you broke even, or if you havent drove enough to get your moneys worth out of it your going to loose money. To me it sounds great but none of the reveiws showed long term use, or even reviews of how this worked after a few thousand miles.
The 2nd device shown, the Fuel Fitch has a warranty for 250,000miles or 5,000 operating hours. Something like that would be something I would look into.

Back