01STrunner

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
Hey all. I want to get a new muffler. I plan on keeping the stock pipes. Any opinions on good mufflers for the 4.0. Magnaflow? Flowmaster?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many are running the Dynomax Super Turbo. If I was going to change mine I would use that one.

you've heard mine, my friend had a single in single out flowmaster super 44 on his 3.5l g6, sounded great and it was louder than mine, untill he put a single glasspack on it :banghead:

Anyone have any sound clips? And thanks Kazer for the advice.

Not sure why I didn't find that thread when I searched. Once again thank you

Dgonz had an awesome sounding trac and he had a spintech 1 in 2 out. It's my fav.

ST, hopefully I'm in the thread you were talking about over in the mod 91-05 thread.
So, here we go. You will never get the rumble of a v8 out of a v6, so as said in other threads all over, it depends on what your taste is. Flowmasters may have a lot of raspyness but it can become a drone very quickly. That, and everyone has them! Ya want a good sound but you also want something custom to your explorer right?! Magnaflows are known for a good deep sound through a lot of the rpm on the v8's and they have tons of flow. I haven't seen people around my area with magnaflows so I don't know how ricey the deep sound would be on an ex. Then there's glasspacks. Glasspacks are known for being LOUD. But cheap ones can sound really ricey even though the glasspack is meant to take out some drone and high tones.
Then there's whether you want to go catback, dual out of the muffler, or true dual and what pipe size to use. Anything other than stock will be good for more flow. But you don't want to go too big so the exhaust cools too fast and doesnt have the push and scavenging effect that you need to keep the exhaust flowing. For the catback system with one pipe a 1/2 inch more is plenty big enough and will give you more deeper tones and better flow. The single in dual out muffler can have 1/2 inch bigger than stock coming in, and then the output should only be a 1/4 inch bigger to keep flow and sound. If you go bigger there will be too much flow causing drone. A buddy of mine just got that setup on his f150 and the output pipes were the actually the same size as the original pipe to keep a good amount of flow and lots of sound. Now there's true dual. My explorer came with no y-pipe. I have one pipe coming down from the manifold, to a cat and then the pipe went out to the muffler, and the same on the other side. Now I have that, going to the xpipe, and back out to two straight through mufflers out to 3 inch tips. It sounds deep at low rpm, loud as im accellerating. And quiet at highway speeds. And then when I tromp on it holy crap it sounds great. I'll get a video up asap

Yup this is the thread I was talking about. I don't want to change any of the stock piping really at this point. Currently I cut off the last foot or so of my stock tip so now the exhaust is pointed down and straight back under my bed. I like it there because it's protected.

Had a Flowmaster but droned out if you weren't flooring it. I now have a knockoff MagnaFlow and it sounds great, most people ask what size V8 I have in it. I have Random Tech y-pipe, Random Tech high flow cat, single 2.5" in/ dual 2.5" out knockoff MagnaFlow muffler into custom made 2.5" dual tailpipes.

When you say a knockoff who makes it? Is it kinda like napa shocks are monroes?

Kinda, everything about the muffler matched the MagnaFlows. I bought it from a muffler dealer at a huge parts swap meet.

Ah ok. The more I think about it and look around I like the Dynomax and magna flow stuff. Since I always drive with the windows down and I still want to be able to talk, I think the FM 40s are out, plus they only sound good at idle.

Ah ok. The more I think about it and look around I like the Dynomax and magna flow stuff. Since I always drive with the windows down and I still want to be able to talk, I think the FM 40s are out, plus they only sound good at idle.

Recommend you mount the muffler far back as possible without the resonator.
I was tempted to try the Dynomax VT but hadn't heard feedback at the time.
Ended up with the SuperTurbo, deep tone but subtle. Perfect V6 sound, IMO.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

im thinking about going with a "performance" catback exhaust system once i get more funds. i just got my welder, but i havent got a mask, angle grinder and other stuff so i still have to get all that stuff first, but after that and my roof mounted aux light project, im going catback. im not so much into sound as i am into getting any type of performance increase at all. any suggestions for the 4.0 SOHC?

Lono, the sohc is what I have in my ex. If you want to spend a lot of money go with magnaflow or borla for catback systems, if they make them for the explorer sport trac. They are not only sound but performance as well. OR. Wait to get your mask and angle grinder and do what I did and spend 10 hours getting under your truck to check the angle, get out to cut, check the angle, cut more, weld it, and move on to the next piece. You can go out and buy exhaust piping if you want to DIY. The 16 hours total I put into my exhaust would have been a hefty bill at the shop, but seeing as me and a buddy did it it only cost me the price of adapters and tim hortons! Go dual exhaust for sure. The flow is unreal and you can really tell it's free flowing when you give er.

Back